"Shoe-Gazer" Metal

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I don't really know what to call this type of metal, so I've chosen "shoe gazer metal" because I saw it in a magazine or something. I don't really like it, but doom and melodeath both don't seem to be right either.

Anyway . . . here are my top five from this style. What do I need to add to my list.

1) Anathema - Alternative 4
2) Katatonia - Tonight's Decision
3) Anathema - Judgement
4) Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down / Discouraged Ones
5) Fall of the Leafe - Vantage

I'm not looking for any death vocals, because then I'd probably just call it melodic doom or something. I need more albums like this . . . heavy on the melancholy, but relatively gentle with the vocals. Paradise Lost's recent stuff just hasn't done much for me, and MDB is probably doom (even with the clean vocals).

me likey tonights decision. was hard to get into at first. probably because it was not what i was expecting.

haha, "shoegazer" metal, I love it :Spin:

I'd rather call In The Woods... stargazing metal, but if your shoes are hanging from a washing line, I guess it's fine too.

Otherwise I'd like to mention Rapture as a very good Katatonia follower, while not entirely a Katatonia Rip-off.

shoegaze music was and is a big influence on jonas from katatonia, probably the other memberd too somewhat

i don't know what else to recommend though, so i'll just go right ahead and keep being useless

Wildhoney, yes. Good term for this stuff, makes a lot of sense.

Hey Nate do you have My Bloody Valentine - Loveless? One of the greatest albums in history, complete with a pink cover to remind everyone of what you're getting into!

B000002LRJ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

the only one out of those albums that i would call "shoegazer metal" is "discouraged ones"

anyhoo i'm really into girlie metal like this so i might come with some decent recommendations later as i think of them

you know, i listened to some slowdive mp3s and at times ("quiet world", "saw you drown") there are parts that are basically direct slowdive ripoffs

Paragon of Beauty - Comfort Me, Infinity

I really quite like this. It's not really anything like their earlier album just in case you've heard that. Sounds quite a bit like that the sort of style you're after.

I don't think Omnio sounds that much like the albums Nate listed, but it's so good that I'd recommend it anyway.

i've been curious about that paragon of beauty album. i have their previous two and "the spring" holds promise but is basically not very good, and "seraphine" isn't so good either except the first song which OWNS. but it sounds more like "dance of december souls" than anything so i guess the 3rd one is different