Short HOW DO MIC CABZ - ¯\(°_o)/¯

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
Here is a vid I threw together of my mic'ing technique when I do reamps. I am sure I left a bunch of small details out, as I hate looking at my fat ass on the camera, and I hate my fucking voice so I tried to make it short, but this is just how I prefer to mic my cabs. There is also a short tour of my DAW, Amps & Cabs.

You can hear audio samples of each mic at the links below the video.

MP3 Audio Samples:

SM57
http://www.jasoncohenitservices.com/how_do_mic/57.mp3

Audix i5
http://www.jasoncohenitservices.com/how_do_mic/i5.mp3

e609
http://www.jasoncohenitservices.com/how_do_mic/609.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool Vid.

I dig your i5 tone a lot. Ive been using a 57 and 421 but the high mids on that I5 really seem to cut nice. I normally don't like using the 57 in the center, but that Audix handles it well in your clips. I would think the 57 would be a nice when blended with your I5.

I think it's time to try my i5 on guitars again. :devil:

Ya the i5 cuts really nice when its on the center of that particular speaker. I never bother using it on my Marshall cause it always sounds harsh. I will admit 95% of my recordings wind up being just 57, but sometimes just adding a little of the i5 fills out the upper mids and highs nicely without having to resort to EQ.

Thanks!!

I will have a bunch of stuff I will be doing for my next session which starts on Jan 8th, Ill show my reallly reallllyyy shitty drum micing technique (everything will be sample replaced as usual cause my drum mics suck), but We will be shooting a ton of video for that session. The bands is more a grungy Pearl Jam meets Neil young kind of thing, but they are good. Will be using the infamous late 70s JMP for that one, cant wait to get my hands on that amp again :)

Thanks, I'll watch this when I get a chance.

The first time I mic'd a cab I decided to dual mic it. One SM57 in the front and one Beta52 pointing at the open back of the speaker. Not such a great sound XD

nice video dude. which guitar have you used?
as i can see if the guitar/amp is good there is no big difference in the sound with different microphones.

nice video dude. which guitar have you used?
as i can see if the guitar/amp is good there is no big difference in the sound with different microphones.

how about mic it with D6? i think you'll notice a big difference, different microphone also need different mic placement :D

correct me if i wrong, master :worship:

The D6 is really dark and at the moment its not here. Loaned it to a friend at another studio here in town for some testing. I am trying to convert him from the Beta 52 ... ahahahah

I can get you guys the raw guitars on their own later today its Christmas eve and I have a turkey and prime rib to cook today. :)

As for the guitars used. This is a re-amp so I did not record them. I believe that JeffTD used his Stinnet Custom Guitar with an 81 in the bridge. If you search for "Rose Of Sharyn" you will find JeffTD's original post he explains everything he used there.

I highly recommend using them for re-amp practice they are EXTREMELY clean and played extremely well. Ola's (Goddamn Guitar) Feared stuff kicks ass as well.

how do typical sneap settings on TS!? ¯(°_o)/¯

i don't mic cabs but hell i need an i5! :lol:

Typical "Sneap" Style Settings:

TS:
Drive: 9:00
Tone: 12:00
Level: 12:00

5150:
Pre: 4.5
Low: 7
Mid: 2.5
High: 7
Post: 1.5 (I live in an apartment so I have to keep it pretty low)
Res: 8
Pres: 10

Of course these get changed a bit depending on the guitar. But I find these settings work great with EMG's especially in a Mahogany guitar. For passives I tend to boost the level on the TS a bit more just to give the guitars a bit more oomph and I lower the Low on the 5150 to about 5.