should i buy a caparison TAT or a Dellinger?

mick thompson

AKA: Ross Canpolat! SM!
Nov 3, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
i love the look of the tat and the way its built looks real sweet but the dellinger is made for low tunings.

i asked chris amott (guitarist from arch enemy) a few years back and he said he preferred his tat before the dellinger but he just plays the dellinger because its a free signature model.

i dont know, i play hardcore death metal styled stuff. the dellinger would more then likely be more suited to my style but seeing chris said he preferred his tat has really confused me because arch enemy are a real heavy styled band.

also the dellinger is set with the bridge or something further back then normal to produce lower tones for like drop b tunings but i play in drop c so would it completely mess up if i tune a dellinger to my tuning instead of the factory tuning.

sadly i dont think anyone in ireland has a caparison that i can even try so its just going to be a hit n miss suituation when i buy.

so please place your views up:kickass:

Right, for a start the Dellinger isn't set with the bridge further back unless you go for the HGS (heavy gauge string) model which basically makes the scale length similar to a baritone and the guitar will come tuned in B. Drop C isn't a low tuning by anyone's standards. So basically just go for whichever you prefer the look of, or whichever is more suited to your budget.

well drop c on this forum aint low by the standards of the people here but compared to the people i work with going to drop d is extreme. :lol:

thanks for your input, think ill go for the TAT in that case. its a sexier axe

Quoting myself here from the "high end guitars"-thread:

I've bought a Caparison Dellinger II SE recently and it's quite possibly the best guitar I've ever owned or played. The neck is a bit bigger and has a different shaping than an Ibanez Wizard neck (which is perfectly fine with me), but is still in shred-territory. The TATs are quite similar to the Dellingers but feature a neck-through construction, which makes em sound brighter than Dellingers (especially if it's an alder body TAT). That's the reason why I chose a Dellinger over a TAT, I love maple necks but I don't want em on a neck-through construction...

Yeah, so that's why I've chosen a Dellinger over a TAT... I had to drive for 4 hours to directly A/B the Capis but wouldn't do such an investment without playing the instrument.

I liked the Dellinger most but could picture myself adding a TAT or Horus to the arsenal somewhere down the road.

well there was a dublin guy on metalireland selling a horus a few months back so they're not that rare dude, also there's irish bands tuning to f and e low -drop c isn't considered that low here either man don't know what group of people you've been talking to!

I'd go with a dellinger myself

I know of one guy who tunes his Caparison down to G# standard with no problems at all.

I'm having a simular Dilemma I'm looking for a sick new piece, my options are Jackson USA, Ibanez J. Custom or JEM, or a Caparison.

I'm seriously considering a Caparison but I have to drive like 3 hours just to try them out due to their lack of rep in the States.

I have a TAT II and find its a spectacular rythm guitar, but takes a lot of getting used to higher up the neck, I'm used to thinner necks and the Cap is particularly chunky.
I do see myself getting a Horus further down the line, cuz I'm simply in love with Caparisons now!

I have a thing for the Horuses but probably won't ever get around to owning one. Its too far down my list of shit to buy. Maybe if an image of Jesus appears on one of my triscuit crackers I'll be able to afford a Caparison.