Should I get "Tonight's Decision"?

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
I recently purchased "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" and love it.

Is "Tonight's Decision" in a similar style to LFDGD?

Does it feature all clean vocals?

that question shouldn't even be asked
that album is just brilliant and amazing
you should run right now and buy it!

you should ask yourself the following questions:

1. can I afford not to have it?

2. do I deserve to listen to it

amazing album get it now

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
Do those albums feature the same drummer that is on LFDGD??? Because his drumming is fantastic.

For the what Tonight's Decision is, the drums are fantastic, although they're not as amazing as the incredible drumming on LFDGD...

Definitely get TD if you can. It doesn't quite meet LFDGD in my opinion, but it's still one of the greatest albums by any band.

I preffer TD and LFGD than Discouraged Ones
but discouraged ones has "saw you drown" which is one of their best songs
but the cover from nightmares by the sea surpasses the original by a lot

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
Do those albums feature the same drummer that is on LFDGD??? Because his drumming is fantastic.
As mentioned before on this thread, Dan Swanö plays the drums on Tonight's Decision, buy this album by the way, it's excellent and you can now get it in midprice, re-issued with 2 extra tracks!

Discouraged Ones still has Jonas Renkse playing the drums, as he used to on all previous albums as well. He does a fine job on the drums, still the new guy is definitely the best drummer they ever had. Buy Discouraged Ones too, it's beautiful.

By the way, does anyone know why they got Dan Swanö to do the drums on TD, when Jonas could have done it perfectly well himself, why would they hire another guy (well, Dan's not "another guy" of course) for the drums when they have a drummer in the band already? Dan didn't do this for free or?

Originally posted by MadTinus

By the way, does anyone know why they got Dan Swanö to do the drums on TD, when Jonas could have done it perfectly well himself, why would they hire another guy (well, Dan's not "another guy" of course) for the drums when they have a drummer in the band already? Dan didn't do this for free or?

Maybe Jonas just wanted to focus more on his singing and lyrics at that time?
Or he wanted a better drummer(i'm not saying that Jonas is a bad drummer;) ) who adds more fill ins and so on. I mean, Discouraged ones mostly has a simple drum structure(which perfectly fits the album) whereas Tonight's decision's drumming comes along a bit more complex i think.
I don't know, maybe Anders can give us the facts;)

Originally posted by falling bird

Maybe Jonas just wanted to focus more on his singing and lyrics at that time?
I would place my money on that too. After all, TD was that important 2nd to Jonas with clean vox, so I guess he wanted to make his best with TD
And what comes to drummers, well, this "new guy" is better than Swanö, on TD drumming is a bit too soulless, like a work which had to be done than real art... But after all, in "Breeding Death" we have fuckin' awesome drumming by herr Swanö!!! :headbang:

Originally posted by Klemi
I would place my money on that too. After all, TD was that important 2nd to Jonas with clean vox, so I guess he wanted to make his best with TD
And what comes to drummers, well, this "new guy" is better than Swanö, on TD drumming is a bit too soulless, like a work which had to be done than real art... But after all, in "Breeding Death" we have fuckin' awesome drumming by herr Swanö!!! :headbang:
Well yeah, I kinda figured something like that, but still, you know, Jonas can drum, he'd always done the drums and vocals, so why hire (and spend money on) another person to do them.

Yes, the drums on TD could have been better and Swanö's drums with Bloodbath are indeed decent, so are his drums on Diabolical Masquerade's "Nightwork".

Originally posted by MadTinus

Well yeah, I kinda figured something like that, but still, you know, Jonas can drum, he'd always done the drums and vocals, so why hire (and spend money on) another person to do them.

Yes, he can drum, but IMO it's a different thing to make clean and guttural vocals. You must be more concentrated with clean vox, 'cause you have so much wider scale to use. Okay, in "Dance..." vocals are miles away from monotonic screaming, but still... And what kind of picture I have about Jonas, I think, that he wanted to put 100 % to vocals in TD. And that money spending, well, I doubt it. If Swanö took even a cent from his drumming, he's a greedy bastard...

Originally posted by phyre
And then get Discouraged Ones (if you can find it...), it also has clean vocals throughout (if that's a good thing to you) and is slightly better than both LFDGD and TD IMO.
Agree.

Originally posted by Klemi
And that money spending, well, I doubt it. If Swanö took even a cent from his drumming, he's a greedy bastard...
There's nothing wrong or abnormal about getting for services provided, even though Dan and the Kata's are good friends of course, I'm sure they (or perhaps the label) payed him something, but being a friend of the band it probably wasn't much. And if he did do it for free, then Dan is a very nice guy!

Hello Progmetalfan!

Yes, you MUST purchase "Tonights Decision" at all costs!!!

It is a fantastic record - perhaps just a notch below "LFDGD".
Although I prefer "Deal" overall, I feel that "Tonight's" actually features Kat's BEST EVER song, "BLack Session".

The production is, I feel, the band's best as well.

The song "Strained" could be a hit on radio, the chorus is so damned-catchy!!

And "Discouraged Ones" is right behind it! All clean vocals, depressing as hell & pure magic!

My fav Katatonia tunes:
Black Session
Passing Bird
Stalemate
Chrome
Sulfer
Last Resort
Strained