Should i go for it? guitar related...

Jun 2, 2005
I have this gibson explorer gothic:

http://www.sound1.no/images/gibson/gothic/gibson_goth_explorer_stor.jpg

It's a really, really nice guitar.. and i said i would never say goodbye to it.. untill i saw this:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...prev=/images?q=washburn+WM526&um=1&hl=en&sa=G

Now there is shop that will let me trade in my good ole gibson for this washburn.. have to drive a few hours for it, but what say you sneapers.. should i go for it?
Never played a washburn before really, but the shape of that beast, the headstock and especially the glass fretboard does it for me.
Im really tempted, but have no experience with this serie... did anyone actually own one or try one?

I love washburns. I got one of their preliminary models of the X-50 ProQ its called and X-50 ProE and it is teh SEX!! not as nice as that guitar though i would love to have the one you posted and i say go for it. On the same token i do love goth explorers too though... Maybe bring along your goth and test out the washy out and if you don't love it dont buy it.

EDIT: Holy shit i just found out they mass produce my guitar now its called the X-50 ProFE.

Just my two cents on this: save for the Washburn and keep the Explorer.
the Gothic is my favourite guitar as far as the feel of the back of the neck is concerned, I have one Epiphone gothic Expl. Very Smooth.

I like the shape of the Explorer more than this Washburn but I admit that Washburn make some nice guitars (I have a Dime 333 also, about 1998 and it's very very good).

For what it's worth, I'd buy a Parker Fly if I were looking for the fiberglass type of neck. Much better although strange guitar shape.

I cant point you in either direct, but damn that Washburn looks nice!

I used to work in the Chicago Custom Shop in final assembly and set up. The standards in that shop are very good. Very high quality, and overall great instruments. I compared the Custom Shop Idol Opus model to my PRS Custom 22 in terms of quality and playability (and price). Just stay away from any Washburns with carbon fiber necks, as the carbon fiber can over time cause warping and twisting of the neck. We were prototyping the HM series when I was there, and at the time, they had carbon fiber coated necks ala Parker (also made in the Chicago shop). They are nice guitars, I just wouldn't trust the carbon fiber in the long run.

One more thing that most people don't know: on the Parker and Washburn carbon fiber necks/fretboards, the frets are glued on with LockTite. They do fall off from time to time.

Keep the Gibson. If you need an upgrade, change the pickup, but otherwise, the Explorer is the best sounding Gibson of all the models. For metal. I've played them all with the same pickup (T498, T500) and the Explorer is a clear winner.

Bob, do you still have the stock pickups in your Gibby? I like the 500T in my Faded but I really think I will be throwing an 81/85 set in it, there is no escaping the actives!

~006

Hmmm you guys are right.. im too horny for this washburn, that i forget about the old lady.. the gibby.

Bob, do you still have the stock pickups in your Gibby? I like the 500T in my Faded but I really think I will be throwing an 81/85 set in it, there is no escaping the actives!

~006

I took them out and threw in some EMG's Mike.. the 81/85 set as well.
Just more my sound, allthough i must say the 500T sounded pretty darn good though, i just like the more sterile sound coming from the EMG set.