Should I go sm57 and fathead or sm57 and md421

tk7261

Oct 19, 2012
I have a project comming up in a couple months and am planning ahead. I'm going for a really heavy warm big rhythm sound (like everyone else in the world). I'm all tired out of using one 57, I've done it too much and feel the need to add something to it. What do you think? 57 and a cascade fathead (probably go with the stock one cause by the looks of the frequency response it would work better for this application). Im really really leaning towards the fathead. Or 57 and md421. I've always wanted a ribbon, and really want it to sound like what it does in the room. I don't want to use all three to avoid phase problems and because I only have two nice preamps.

I'd go with the Fathead. I got a pair of v2 with Lundhal transfo... amazing mics!! And in case where you have to use a 421, you could borrow one way easier than a Fathead.

Yea I actually have an Sm7b. Not the kind of different I was looking for for guitar. And yea I could always borrow a 421 and see how I like the combo. I might try to do that actually. Any idea which combo you think will compliment each other better, and will hopefully make one big full sound together?

Edit: Or maybe I could use the 57 and fathead on one track and the 57 and 421 on the other side?

A 421 will have more low end than a 57, but also more high end, too, so a ribbon may be the better option based on what you said you're going for.

Definitely go with the Fathead, I have the stock one as well and I'm loving the shit out of it. And with the Lundahl transformers they will definitely sound even better (considering upgrading mine in the future, or just get a second one)

Martijn, go for the Lundhal transfo, it sounds incredibly awesome! I tried mine as room mics, OH and some guitar takes for now and I'm really happy with them :)

I was thinking about going Lundhal too, but the looks of it the highs are a bit more accented, and the highs in v30 already bug me so I don't want to accentuate it more. I feel like the highs in v30s sound shrieky. The stock is flatter, which might be good for guitar?

I'm sure the stock transfo model is great indeed, I did not try one tho. The Lundhal provides precise high end while sounding very 'warm' and it all depends on the position of the mic also. Again, I got mines a few weeks ago and I did not use them a lot for now but both Fathead models would be a great choice for what you're looking for imho at a fair price.

This was the only Lundahl/stock comparison I could find for the fathead. The difference to me if pretty slight, and seems like it could sound pretty close to the same with a boost at 5 or 6k. Is it really worth the extra $60-$120 or whatever it is? Admittedly the guitar guitar in this clip does sound reall muddy and muffled. Could that be the mic placement? or is that what this mic always sounds like. I cant find one single clip of a heavy guitar recorded with this mic.

link: http://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator (click on mics, then cascade fathead)

I don't really think that the clips on that site give the different transformer it's full potential to be fair.

If I had another Fathead with a Lundahl transfo I could do a comparison but I don't :lol:

The stock one sounds pretty awesome as well, the Lundahl would definitely make it sound even better, basically it's up to you if you're willing to invest a bit more money

What I could do is record a couple quick clips with my Fathead in front my guitar setup, mic placement is pretty much dead center on the speaker, which is the only way you will get some high's in your sound with the stock one at least (which you'll never want to do with an 57, that would be buzz city)

Lead Channel
Clean Channel

Clips are totally raw, not even HP or LP, you can definitely hear in the Lead Channel how much 'oomph' it adds

Edit :

For some weird reason I feel generous, so here's another clip.

Metalz

This is with Audix i5 combined, both equal in volume and still the raw tone as I got out of it, no EQ whatsoever

Awesome! Thanks so much. Really reassuring getting to hear it. Mind if I ask what guitar gear your using? Which cab? And how far back was the Fathead from the grill?

Sure thing!

Gear is my (both very recently acquired) Jet City JCA50H going into a Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 with V30's.
The Fathead is approximately 2 centimers from the grill, so it's very close but not right on top of it.

That Fathead is REALLY thick! The i5 added a lot of much needed clarity in those clips. I bet it pairs nicely with a 57, too.

Thanks for the additional info man. I cant wait to get one and mess with it. I've been wanting something figure 8 to put on guitar. Also wanted something that will make the guitar sound more natural and jam-y if that makes sense.

I've found the Fatheads, even when paired with a 57, to be too muddy for "heavy" rock (and especially metal) rhythm guitar. A 421, on the other hand, assuming that the amp and cab already sound "big and warm," can capture that sound with little issue.

Yea I hear its pretty dark and a lot of low end, but with some distance from the cab and some eq it can work.