Should TestAmenT record an acoustic album?

Would it be cool or what?

• Oh yes!

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

one man

Jul 4, 2002
Poland
Visit site
That's not meant to be taken completely seriously, of course :)

We all know Testament played some acoustic shows in the past- in 1993 with Glen (outside a music store) and in 1995 with James (there were a couple of shows like this in peoples' apartments around that time, if I'm not mistaken).

They also included acoustic versions of 3 of their ballads on "Live at the Fillmore".

Moreover, they are famous for their acoustic intros to some songs as well as acoustic parts in some songs (instrumental and "regular").

Long time ago, when I first heard "Beginning of the End" off "Souls of Black" I had the feeling it was way too short and thought it would be great if Eric recorded a whole album (instrumental) of this kind (I thought of it as of a solo album, but it would be even better if he did that with Alex, I thought a second later). After hearing the acoustic versions of the ballads, I thought that a whole instrumental acoustic album would be great, but an album full of instrumentals and ballads with Chuck singing would be even greater.

Now that we see this classic line up play acoustic versions of their songs (not only ballads) in Alcatraz, we realize they didn't lose they fondness of acoustic guitars completely. Back on the "Ten days of May" reunion tour the guy filming backstage footage for the bonuses on "Live in London" DVD (John?) was trying to talk the band into playing an acoustic show for the DVD, but as that line up had never played acoustic shows together they didn't have enough time to arrange the songs properly and probably wouldn't feel comfortable enough with it right after getting back together. However, now that they sound and blend together better than ever and play with such an immense confidence and ease and show the will do rearrange some of the songs (even Over the wall!) into acoustics, I thought I can start a funny poll like that :heh: (especially that there haven't been many interesting discussions here lately ;))

So, what are your opinions about such album (be it fully instrumental, fully balladish, acoustic Thrash or the combinations of them all)?
As far as I'm concerned no Thrash band ever did something like that (but then, TestAmenT was always pushing the boundaries and experimenting a lot)- do you think it wouldn't be true? or would it be innovative or perhaps just very cool to hear? I surely would, 'cause they're such amazing musicians with hmm.. horizons broader than "just" electric guitar based metal

One more thing- I realize it sounds a little surreal and they surely don't have the time to do things like that (given how much they are touring with Testament and other projects, that they've just recorded a brilliant album they have to support, and finally that they're already thinking about a follow up to this album) so I want our deliberations to just concentrate on whether it would be nice or not to have such an album- not whether it would be possible or not.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they do an acoustic album they will have to re-arrange their songs considerably. There would be no point in just playing the electric songs acoustic. It would sound horrible. I'm a fan of Hard Rock / Heavy Metal bands doing acoustic albums so am not against it but some serious thought will have to be put into rearranging the songs to fit the acoustic format without distancing oneself from the spirit of the songs.

^ I agree, Testament's songs were composed as "electric" songs, it'd be quite difficult to make acoustic versions of old songs.

The Legacy would be a cool song in acoustic version.

The guys certainly have musical creativity and composition skills, so I'm sure that if they compose an acoustic album from scratch it'd certainly be a good one :headbang: .

It'd be nearly impossible though, judging from how long it took them to release the new one. Though Chuck Billy is better now, so I believe we may see a new one in 3 years (please?:( ) :headbang: .

^ I agree, Testament's songs were composed as "electric" songs, it'd be quite difficult to make acoustic versions of old songs.

The Legacy would be a cool song in acoustic version.

The guys certainly have musical creativity and composition skills, so I'm sure that if they compose an acoustic album from scratch it'd certainly be a good one :headbang: .

It'd be nearly impossible though, judging from how long it took them to release the new one. Though Chuck Billy is better now, so I believe we may see a new one in 3 years (please?:( ) :headbang: .

I would prefer a live acoustic album or a studio acoustic album of old songs. Doing brand new songs would not make sense and take away the charm of acoustic versions of electric songs. Going by the acoustic tracks on Live At The Filmore, I think Testament would easily come up with mesmerising acoustic versions...remember Trail Of Tears.