Shure SM57 + Popper Stopper = Shure SM58?

DURBANS

Feb 2, 2005
Hello

I've got a Shure SM57 and a Shure Popper Stopper, I was wondering if this combination equals a Shure SM58, that way I can record both vocals and guitars with the same mic. If it's not the same, then I could get an SM58, just curious about it.

Haha. Kinda, but not really. Anyways, both of those mics suck for vocals. I know that some guys (Terry Date) use them with great success, but generally speaking dynamic mics blow for recording vox.

Actually, dynamic mics are quite useful for recording vocals. When used with a decent preamp, the 57 can sound excellent for vox, as can the 58(tho i prefer to record the 57 for vox). There are many excellent dynamic mics out there for vocals, but my current favorites are the Shure SM57, Shure SM7, and EV RE20. In fact, I believe that Andy uses the SM7 quite frequently(I think it was on the Kreator album). About half of the vocals that I record are through dynamic mics, and I'm most definitely not in the minority, as far as professional engineers and producers are concerned. While condensers are very useful for vocals, they're by no means the only type of mic acceptable for them. Use the 57, and save up for a good pre and comp, and it'll be more than sufficient.

I'd definately hold back on getting the SM58 Durbans. As far as I'm aware the circuitry of both mics is identical, except for the 58 having the pop shield. Either way, in the studio I see no real difference, because you could track vox with a 57 and just use an external pop shield (or a sock, depending on your budget ;)).

Moonlapse is entirely right about the 58. Having that pop screen there kinda sucks because it's made for live performances, and as a result goes a little overboard and takes some frequencies away. I've always preferred the sound of the 57's to the 58's on vocals and guitars, but I've actually found that 58's can sound quite good on toms, if placed correctly. I originally got that idea from Michael Wagener, and it's really paid off on a few sessions since then. Stick with the 57, save your money for a good pre.

Exsanguis said:
About half of the vocals that I record are through dynamic mics, and I'm most definitely not in the minority, as far as professional engineers and producers are concerned.

You are, in fact, in the minority. I said "generally speaking" dynamic mics suck for vocals, which means there are exceptions. The SM7 can be good, I've used them myself, and I think that you're right about Andy using them - we all know of his results. Also the Sennheiser 441 - the "Stevie Nicks mic", can be useful in certain situations, but far and away condenser mics are the standard for recording vocals. Before I went independent, I had the good fortune of working with some really great producers and engineers. Some of the rock artists that I worked with during those times would include Sepultura, Scorpions, Santana, Suicidal Tendencies, Crazy Town (eek), and the producer Matt Hyde with some Canadian band. Not one line of vocals were recorded with anything other than high end condenser mics - with the exception of Sepultura. Those sessions were with Howard Benson (of P.O.D. fame) and Mark Dearnly (of AC/DC fame) who tried using the 441, but it didn't last long. We ended up using a FET U47 instead. I was recording an album (rap, of course) at the famed (now defunct) Music Grinder studios in L.A. and Toby Wright was in with some band in Studio "A". My 2nd engineer took me to the mic locker to get the U67, but Wright had beat me to it. I popped my head in as he was comping vocal tracks and I noticed that he had an incredible sound going. Luckily, for me, that was his last day doing vocals and I got the 67 later.

Every single hip-hop, r&b, and pop session that I ever did as a 2nd and as engineer or producer was with condenser mics on vox, as well. The usual choices were tube U67's, Sony C800's, AKG C-12's (personally prefer the VR), or U87's. The preamps of choice were Neve 1073's (with an 1176) or Avalon 737's.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, it's just not the norm.

I don't want to get into an argument over symantics, but I do want to clarify what I meant. The engineers and producers who sometimes use dynamics are by no means the minority. Most, if not all, of the professional producers and engineers out there today will try a variety of mics on their vocalists, including dynamics. While condensers may be used more often than dynamics, this doesn't mean that using dynamics isn't the "norm." The "norm" is finding the best mic for the singer and the song. Personally, I prefer condensers for a lot of applications, but other times, I prefer dynamics. Everyone from Andy to Bruce Swedien to Rick Rubin to Bob Ohlsson to Bob Rock to Mark Needham has used dynamic mics on vocals more than once. You may not see it every day, but saying that "generally speaking dynamic mics blow for vox" is a ridiculous generalization, and outright wrong. There may be better mics, there may not, but dynamic mics can be and have been used with great success on vocals.

Exsanguis said:
You may not see it every day, but saying that "generally speaking dynamic mics blow for vox" is a ridiculous generalization, and outright wrong. There may be better mics, there may not, but dynamic mics can be and have been used with great success on vocals.

It's not ridiculous or wrong. The ratio of vocals recorded with condenser mics vs. dynamics is probably 1000:1. My statement was nothing more than a generalization based on that. We all know that there are no rules to recording, right? Whatever works.

I also said that dynamics can be used for vox with great success. I just don't know if it's the best advice to give to beginners. It's pretty tough to get a good vocal sound from a dynamic mic (especially 57's and 58's) without using heavy eq and compression.

In the beginning of studio work we often used a sm58 in lack of a good condenser.
Right (light) compressed before recording gave us respectable results.

..."don't use SM57/58 for vocal recording"... = matter of opinion!!!