Shure Sm57 vs Sennheiser e906 vs Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL

Simon Dorn

Jun 24, 2012
www.thy-final-pain.com
Hi!
This is the long version of my previous post (Axe FX II XL vs. 2203 KK and SM57 vs. 906 ). The third sample, or track if you will, is a mix of the 57 and 906 (4 tracks). I used my modded KK and a 1960TV. These are the raw signals. What's your opinion?

Regards,
Simon

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the low end of the 57 which is less prominent with the e906.
The e906 has more bite though and sounds more open.

The Axe does not sound as good as the 2203.
Doen't seem to be as tight as the 2203.

If I had to choose, I'd take the 2203 SM57.

I think the Axe Fx doesn't work at all for your super gainy tones. It sounds like plastic diarrhea if that makes sense. The 57 and the 2203 on the other are pretty cool for that kind of tone I guess.

I think the 906 tone is the most mix ready. It gets across the grittyness that you tend to shoot for in your tones but without the mud of the 57.

Im sure if you spent a while finding a clearer positioning and tweaked the setting on the head you could get the 57 sounding closer to the mark.

The Axe doesnt sound good here although they are amazing units, you've also posted some of the worst Pod HD tones Ive ever heard in the past. Based on this I think you should definitely stick to real amps, your better at dialing them in and / or they agree with your guitar playing more.