Shure SM7 Appreciation!!!

Eschatologist

Jun 15, 2008
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Well, after going through many various mics, both of the condensor and dynamic natures, I think I may finally understand why everyone raves about this mic. A few weeks ago I saw that vid of Dev using one in his studio right in front of his console and I thought how awesomely simplified life would be to have a mic to do that, so I ordered one. Just getting the chance to mess around with it now and....wow! I think we have it, folks! What a great sounding mic for metal vocals, so instantly good! I now understand why so many pros use this awesome (albeit awkward!) mic. I also love how much it blocks out noise behind it, so full and focused sounding. Life simplified means more time being creative and less fucking with logistical problems! I am currently trying to decide if I prefer the pres boost ON (instant gratification says yes but will have to do a test in the mix). Does anyone one else usually track with the pres boost on?

It's an awesome mic. I bought one about six months ago and it's absolutely killer. I like the boost ON as well, but time will tell if that holds true. I used it on my band's CD that now will never get released, so I haven't been able to hear it in the final stages yet. However, even in rough mixes the SM7b through a UA Solo 610 sounded killer.

Love mine too! I love the fact that I can practically track vocals anywhere and not worry about the acoustics. Also the fact that singers can hold them and touch them with their lips makes them feel more at ease than with an LDC.
I have mine set to presence boost and never touch the switch. I use it for vocals, hats, sometime bass and kick if I'm going for a mellow sound.

Awesome microphone! Got my new interface yesterday and now I can use it at home too!
Don't really agree with the whole "needz moar gainz" discussion though? I cant have more then 30dB before the inputs start clipping and as far as I know I'm not an insanely loud singer.

Really love it though! I run it straight into the preamp; no eq or anything; distressor plugin and kjerhus delay/reverb.

Yeah you don't need tons of gain for loud vocals or screamers... but I've used it on quiet indie rock stuff and had an API pre almost MAXED... and those are HOT.
Great mic, though don't really agree with the 'no eq' thing when it comes to metal. I usually have to add a lot of high end.