Sigh - Hangman's Hymn

George

Jun 17, 2004
CT, USA
Sigh - Hangman's Hymn
TE084 - The End Records - June 12, 2007
By George Grant

sigh.jpg

The origins of Sigh trace back to the very beginnings of black metal’s second wave. However, listening to this Japanese band’s latest releases one could hardly guess. Unlike their peers, Sigh was willing to push the boundaries of their music to uncharted territories. I firmly believe Imaginary Sonicscape to be the band’s magnum opus. Yet, I was greatly disappointed with the band’s last release Gallows Gallery. The most notable change was in Mirai’s vocals. He switched to a completely clean voice on the album and in general the songs didn’t do much for me. Therefore, leading up the release of the band’s newest album, Hangman’s Hymn, I was apprehensive to say to least. For a band like Sigh it’s hard to fully predict what their next release will sound like, and more likely than not it will be completely different than you imagined.

Right from the gate Mirai and company set the stage for what will be a very relentless album. The bombastic horns which state an ever repeating theme on the album introduce the thrashing madness that is Hangman’s Hymn. Fans will rejoice in hearing Mirai’s maniacal scream welcomed back to the fold. These vocals sit perfectly in the thrash influenced album. The band also keeps this ferocious pace throughout the entire album, and considering it clocks in at roughly 45 minutes it makes the album a very easy listen from beginning to end. Accompanying the thrashing madness are bombastic orchestral arrangements. Fans of the band’s previous releases know that Sigh is no stranger when it comes to composing for the orchestra. This becomes apparent with multiple listens. The strings and horns used on the album mix perfectly with the fast paced music. It’s this dichotomy and interplay between these two functions that give Hangman’s Hymn its appeal and freshness.

Without a doubt the real standout on this album is the guitar work by Shinichi Ishikawa. His guitar riffs which litter the album possess the strong aggression of 80s thrash and the melodic sensibilities that Sigh has always had. For instance, the galloping rhythm on ‘In Devil’s Arms’ harkens back to style of the band’s previous album Gallows Gallery, but used in a much more effective way. Also, Ishikawa’s lead work is stunning. Every solo on the album does exactly what a solo should. It heightens the moment, and retains the mood expressed through the song.

Of course the quirky moments are still present on this album. While it’s certainly not the same degree of experimentation as say Imaginary Sonicscape, Mirai still pushes the envelope. This comes in the form of the reoccurring tormented laughs and subtle synthesizer effects that add to the atmosphere of the album. However, given the music at hand most of these experiments don’t improve the album. They almost seem to take away from what the band has worked to build up. Also, the choirs used on the album are hit and miss. Sometimes they are used to perfection, while in others like the closing ‘Hangman’s Hymn/In Paradisum/Das Ende’ they don’t fit well with the music. In any case do not let these small grievances dissuade you from checking out this release. Yet again Sigh has proven to be on top of their game and released an album that should be popping up on numerous ‘Best of 2007’ lists.

Official Sigh Website
Official The End Records Website

Very good album, even if it gets a bit same-y by the end. The carnival atmosphere is great, though, and Sigh fit in well with their labelmates. Nice review, George.

Coming from a long time Sigh fan, I find this album to be bland, basic, and non interesting.. unlike the other albums which were like soundtracks to psycho horror shows. It just seems like a big rushed mess, I don't hate it but it kind of disssapointed me, I was expecting much more details and effort.

Have been listening to Sigh on and off for a bit now (after often confusing them for the band Sai) and found a copy of Imaginary Sonicscapes, decided to pick this up.

I think it's strange, brutal and beautiful -not in the league of Imaginary Sonicscapes but still an addictive album with a lot of force and imagination behind.

The musicianship is second to none, turning on a riff fast, sharp & hard whilst still fussing it with elements of choral, symphonic and occasionally J-pop (listen hard, it's scarily there).

So, I do recommend this album to anyone with an interest in the different and the strange.

Now, to find the rest of their back catalogue. :) :headbang: