Silly power conditioner question

MarkG

Feb 15, 2009
Netherlands
I purchased a phonic ppc 9000e power conditioner to protect my gear since a surge killed my TC electronics effects unit. Don't want anything like this happening again.

I assumed I could just plug in my amp and effects in the back of the unit, but I was wrong. They aren't your normal power outlet sockets.

So...How Do connect my amp and rack gear to the power conditioner? Outlets are like the one seen on the front in this picture.

i00.jpg

Wow, that's ridiculous - I guess it's because your Euro plugs are so freakin' huge!

I never thought of problems you'd encounter trying to plug the huge round things into the back of a rack conditioner. Makes sense, though, as the 19" rack standard was developed for the US military - we've always used sensibly sized plugs. :lol:

Still, one would think Furman or somebody would make a Power Conditioner in a 2U chassis to make room for the big fuckers! :D

Thanks tornio, that works fine for connecting my amp. Any way to connect my other rack gear to the conditioner though? Having issues finding an adapter for standard plug > 3 pin for conditioner

Makes sense, though, as the 19" rack standard was developed for the US military - we've always used sensibly sized plugs. :lol:

Don't forget that you use half the voltage (115 VAC) that most of Europe (230 VAC) uses ;)

I guess the reason for higher voltage is that it allows you to distribute electricity through higher impedance cables, making electricity distribution more tolerant for electrical disturbances and there is less heat (read: the cables last longer).

not just the cables last longer, but the power loss over long distance is far less.

And where did you learn all your electronics knowledge, because it seems pretty encyclopaedic. Not everyone would specify VAC, although ofc you are completely right to :p

VAC is the same as root mean square voltage right? so the peak value of 230 VAC is actually quite a bit higher

Yeah, 230 VAC should be the RMS value.

You can re-wire your 13A plugs to IEC connectors with no problem, just make sure you get the wires in the right place.

I've not personally done this (never needed to) - but I know a lot of people who have with no problems.
Means incorporating gear and reducing power space is easy.

And where did you learn all your electronics knowledge, because it seems pretty encyclopaedic. Not everyone would specify VAC, although ofc you are completely right to :p

Well, I'm going to graduate as a Bachelor of Engineering, Technology next spring :lol: Funnily we've had almost as many electronics courses as we've had programming :-q even though I major in Software Engineering.

VAC is the same as root mean square voltage right? so the peak value of 230 VAC is actually quite a bit higher

Our teachers use VAC as a generic term, not for RMS values :loco: For that, we use VRMS or VACRMS/VDCRMS with two subscripts :lol: One teacher uses lowercase letters for AC and uppercase for DC :Smug: