Simple question, are the tones in this mix believable?

spencerlogan

Feb 20, 2011
Everytime I put EQ on this, it goes to shit. So what you're hearing is mastered, but the mix has no EQ other than HP and LP filters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally just put a LP and HP on guitars as I manage to record the best raw sound possible...

The mix is a bit harsh though... the kick could be a lot better, guitars I think are cool..

I think the tone is pretty good. Doesn't sound like it really needs too much work man, maybe the EQ is being overused?

I agree with the above, the mix is a bit harsh, maybe just bring the whole mix down in level a bit to let it breathe more.

thanks for the help guys. i normally only hp and lp as well, but sometimes I do a big cut at 4 or 1khz to kill the fuzz. any ideas on how to improve the kick? how does the snare sound?

I think the kick is too slappy, you should get a different sample, snare could get a lot more punch, it sounds too far, i think....

It sounds like that is the "kick 5" sample, "kick 10" is another one that has got that punchy hit to it with a bit less "slap" that might fit better in your mix. The snare sounds alright to me, maybe try rendering it separately from the rest of your mix so you have just a plain snare track before you master it, thats what I do. I find SSD samples especially with the snare don't need too much work to make them sound good. Since I don't have any true high end mastering equipment, just some mid-level vsts/suites, I find that if I leave the snare inside the mix sometimes it gets altered more than I would like.

Kick 10 is actually the one I'm using haha. That snare trick might be a good idea, however I don't want it to sound detached from the rest of my mix.

Ha, well maybe I am getting the ones in my head mixed up.

As for the snare sounding detached from the mix, it can happen if you do a lot of extreme stuff to your mix - It really depends on what you use to master. right now, I used Izotope Ozone 4 and T-Racks, and it works quite well for me I think. Can't hurt to experiment!

Off topic though the riffs are pretty awesome, I like the little fill in the middle - reminds me of Three Inches Of Blood.

I'm actually very fond of T-racks. the plugins are amazingly transparent and very ideal for mastering. And thanks! they were just some ideas I threw together.