Sirenia - Nine Destinies and a Downfall

Tom Strutton

Oct 23, 2006
Sirenia - Nine Destinies and a DownfalL
Nuclear Blast - NB 1757-2 - February 23rd 2007
by Tom Strutton

si.jpg

Norwegian gothic-metallers Sirenia derive their moniker from the Sirens of mythology. This is a shame… I desperately wanted the band to be named after Sirenia – ‘the order of fully aquatic, herbivorous mammals that inhabit rivers, estuaries, coastal marine waters, swamps, and marine wetlands.’ I suppose it was too much to ask that I had finally stumbled upon a band that existed solely to spread the word about that wonder of nature we call the manatee. The question is, does Nine Destinies and a Downfall deliver any compensation in the face of this initial, crushing disappointment?

Joking aside, Sirenia is an act that some of you will already know. For those who don’t (assuming you are interested), Sirenia is the brainchild of ex-Tristania mainman Morten Veland. Having released two studio albums and an EP since forming in 2001, this third outing is their first offering for three years, during which time vocalists were lost and replaced. This third outing presents a renewed sense of direction for the band, arguably designed to exploit the contribution of new vocalist Monika Pedersen. The most compelling evidence for this is the overwhelming predominance of her lead vocal, which marks a departure from the shared male/female vocal duties found on previous Sirenia albums. Of course, this in turn gives rise to the dimished presence and influence of growls, lending Nine Destinies and a Downfall a softer touch than its predecessors.

Some critics have already remarked that this new direction lends weight to the argument that bands of this ilk are increasingly modelling themselves on succesful mainstream acts such as Evanesence, grounding their stylistic approach in perceived cultural archetypes. The beautiful female voice (siren) against a backdrop of Sturm and Drang – isn’t this what we should all want from music? I really need to get my hands on a copy of that blueprint that all of these bands work from (I imagine that there is one copy, but that it is circulated each week on a rota basis). Irreverent musings aside, Nine Destinies and a Downfall risks vexing some fans by the nature of its stylistic departure alone, regardless of the quality of the work within. At any rate, this is merely a story we’ve all heard a thousand times before. Perhaps it is unfair to judge a groups new work against their well recieved pre-established work, leaving the question - is Nine Destinies... successful as an autonomous record?

There are some well designed hooks on offer. Mid-paced opening track ‘The Last Call’ has a memorable chorus, as does second track ‘My Mind’s Eye’. Track three, ‘One by One’, begins promisingly with a neat riff that moves things in a slightly heavier direction, only to suffer when the pace is dropped to introduce Monika’s ineffectual vocal delivery (There’s nothing inherently wrong with her voice, but neither party benefits in the context of Sirenia’s music) . Similarly, ‘Sundown’kicks off with an awesome statement of intent (best riff of the album so far), but is marred when the pace is abandoned and Monika begins singing. It is when Morten makes a vocal contribution on this track that it becomes painfully obvious his presence is underused throughout Nine Destinies - the man has a great growl that compliments the heavier moments wonderfully.

Nine Destinies... makes a pleasant background listen, but don’t expect a lasting impression. It is likely that you will really enjoy certain fragments, and then wonder why these parts were not more frequently scattered throughout the entire album.

Official Sirenia Website
Official Nuclear Blast Website

These fucking goth chick bands are worse than nu-metal and emo combined. This is one of the worst and most boring of the lot. The singer is such a little princess...I couldn't last through the whole thing. :puke: