SKID ROW Singer JOHNNY SOLINGER To Release 'Scrappy Smith' Country Music EP

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
SKID ROW singer Johnny Solinger will issue a new country EP, "Scrappy Smith", on October 28 via Red River Entertainment. The digital-only release, which can be streamed in its entirety at this location until October 27, includes the first single, "Girls Who Swear", as well as tracks that were written by KENTUCKY HEADHUNTERS, David Lee Murphy and BLACK STONE CHERRY. "This new record has been a long time coming," says Solinger. "I always meant to follow up my debut country album with future releases, but my schedule did not allow me time to work on a new solo project. Being the lead singer in a multi-platinum rock band can keep you busy." The "Scrappy Smith" title is a tribute to Solinger grandfather, who introduced his grandson to many of the classic sounds in country music "My grandfather's name is Willard Jesse 'Scrappy' Smith, and he turns 100 in April," Solinger tells Billboard.com. "Scrappy Smith is such a unique name. He still drives down the mountain for coffee every day, and he's still kicking. He also goes to the rec center to flirt with all the 80-year-old 'girls.' So I decided out of love and respect to name the EP after him." In a 2012 interview with Legendary Rock Interviews, Solinger, who has been a member of SKID ROW since 1999, stated about his new country music material: "This one was done through Nashville and will be a little more accessible [than my debut]. It's a little more commercial. I do think that if you liked the last one, you'll like this one still, because my influences haven't changed." He added: "I can't listen to new country; I just can't. I don't like modern country and I'm not gonna record it, so maybe I'll fail, but at least I'll love what I'm doing."
johnnysolingerscarppyep_638.jpg

More...