Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Skinlab
The Revolting Room
Century Media
by Nathan Pearce

Skinlab has recently taken some heat for sounding too much like a lot of the current trendy nu-metal bands attacking the listening masses. They have even toured with some notable names including Soil and Kittie. So, naturally, ‘The Revolting Room’ should be hailed as a sell-out album. What a bunch of crap!

Skinlab is doing what they’ve always done. Heavy down tuned guitars are reminiscent of a lot of nu-metal bands, but Skinlab is not following in these bands’ footsteps. Skinlab pioneered this sound. Early in Skinlab’s career they were compared to early and mid period Machine Head. While this is a much more accurate description, Skinlab have developed a sound of their own. Down tuned guitars pummel aggressively while ferocious drums lay an almost tribal rhythm beneath. Vocals range from a melancholy moan to all out screams.

‘The Revolting Room’ seems slightly more refined and focused than the bands previous two releases. This could easily be contributed to a better production. While this production, at times, helps drive the bands aggressive sound, I occasionally miss the “rusty saw” sound of the past. I’m probably being a little picky, though. This album still incorporates every aspect of Skinlab’s signature abrasiveness.

Don’t believe the hype. Skinlab is not nu-metal. Skinlab has pioneered a sound that others can only try to imitate. With the release or ‘The Revolting Room’, I can only hope Skinlab can achieve some of the success they deserve. However, this album is still too harsh for the average Joe. Fans of grinding abrasive grooves will be enthralled by this release. Assessable, yet aggressive and abrasive.

8/10

www.skinlab1.com