Slam Metal with trad Death Metal vocals?

son of cheap thrills

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!
Jun 7, 2016
Australia
Hey so I love the music of Slam Metal/Slamming Death Metal, whatever you want to call it. But I can't stand the vocals, it just puts me off from listening to the music. So I was wondering are there any Slam bands that have more traditional/Old School Death Metal vocals? I am probably far reaching on this one.

New Katalepsy album has normal death metal vocals. Many people didn't like the change from slam vocals but I have nothing against it.

Last edited:
It's a fairly tough thing to find because these bands love to emulate Barnes from Tomb of the Mutilated.

Eternal Suffering

Ingurgitate

Suture

You should check out the early Suffocation, Cryptopsy, and Dying Fetus albums if you dont already know them. While not technically slam these could surely ease you into the genre with big riffs and breakdowns.

After that, if you still care check out Defeated Sanity and Gorgasm.
If you really like the music I recommend trying to acclimate yourself to the vocals because most of the bands in the genre, including its best, utilize the inhales sometimes.

Last edited:
Suffocation, Cryptopsy, and Dying Fetus

Love those bands.

Defeated Sanity and Gorgasm.

checking them out now.

If you really like the music I recommend trying to acclimate yourself to the vocals because most of the bands in the genre, including its best, utilize the inhales sometimes.

I can handle it in small doses. It's a shame cos like I said I really dig the music.

This is mixing in brutal death metal, but try Jasad's second album, Carnivore Diprosopus' second album, Mortal Decay's sickening erotic fanaticism, Plasmoptysis, Human Filleted, Sermon of Mockery by Pyrexia, and She Lay Gutted by Disgorge. None have over the top vocals but maybe you disagree.

Last edited:
I feel like just for the novelty of it you should check out Heinous Killings so you can hear a guy doing a helicopter impersonation.

Doubt you'll like it but it's something everyone that listens to brutal death metal should hear at least once I think.

If you want some trad death metal, but brutal at the sametime you might like some of this stuff. I listen to old shit.