SLASH: 'I Could Never Have Asked To Do Anything Cooler Than GUNS N' ROSES'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In a brand new interview with Digital Spy, former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash was asked if he could ever see himself and the band's lead singer, Axl Rose, being on speaking terms again. "It's not even something I like to dwell on," Slash replied. "I don't even like to make to make comments, because you end up with quotes that sometimes exacerbate the issue. It's really not at the forefront of my mind. I've got other things going on. "I'm very, very proud — endlessly proud — of everything the band stood for and everything that's gone on with it. And the fact that there's still so much attention and interest in the band however many years after I was in it, I feel very humbled and honored by all that. But I don't spend my time thinking about what you guys are thinking about. You know? It's all whatever happens, happens, and in the meantime, I'm doing other stuff." Regarding his favorite memories of his time in the band, Slash said: "I'm not going to sit here and get sentimental on you, but yeah, there's a lot of great memories for me. "I could never have asked to do anything cooler than GUNS N' ROSES. From the early days in its inception, up to a certain point. I wouldn't have traded that — there was no better fucking place to be for myself personally. It was the kind of band that was so excessive that could only go so far. "I'm really proud of the fact that actually all of us are still living!" Slash, along with fellow former GUNS N' ROSES members Duff McKagan, Steven Adler, Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke, performed three "Appetite For Destruction" songs with Myles Kennedy at the band's Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony in April 2012 in Cleveland, Ohio. Kennedy, who handles lead vocals in Slash's solo band and ALTER BRIDGE, sang "Mr. Brownstone", "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "Paradise City", with "Use Your Illusion"-era member Sorum sitting behind the drum kit on "Brownstone" and the man he replaced in GN'R, Adler, pounding the skins for the other two songs. "All things considered, I don't think any of us wanted to be a part of it initially," Slash told Digital Spy about the Rock Hall induction. "I didn't think any of us were going to go. It was a thorn in everybody's — well, at least a thorn in my side — because I was busy doing other stuff. "When it finally came down to the wire at the very, very, very last minute — I'm talking about the 11 hours and 30 seconds mark — Axl had pulled out. "I thought well, shit, maybe we should do it. [Laughs] And I'm glad that we went. It's very GUNS N' ROSES, what can you say?" Slash told Rolling Stone in April 2012 that Rose "hates my guts." The two have not performed together since 1993. Rose currently tours with a completely different version of GUNS N' ROSES featuring no original members but him. During a 2009 interview with longtime friend and former road manager Del James, first published on Spinner, Rose called Slash a "cancer."

More...