SLASH Says 'Sweet Child O' Mine' Is The Most 'Lucrative' Song He Has Ever Written

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
U.K.'s Metro recently conducted an interview with legendary guitarist Slash (GUNS N' ROSES, VELVET REVOLVER). A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below. Metro: What's the most lucrative song you've written? Slash: It was always about albums rather than singles, but I'd guess "Sweet Child O' Mine", because it's the most covered. There are some really good instrumental versions for the piano or violin, but I've been horrified by some muzak versions. I've been sitting in a doctor's office thinking, "That sounds familiar," and then realizing it's someone's interpretation of what I've written. That can be a creepy feeling. Metro: What's the worst gig you've done? Slash: GUNS N' ROSES playing Cowboys Stadium in Dallas in 1989. It was horrific. Everything that could go wrong went wrong and the band didn't have enough experience to handle it properly. It was a huge disaster in front of 65,000 people. We fell apart on stage. It's stuck with me ever since. Metro: What are people's misconceptions of you? Slash: That I was limited to the image of me as a crazy loser junkie. People were a little intimidated by that. It was a narrow-minded idea of who I was, but at the same time, I gave that impression during interviews. Metro: Have you ever had a supernatural experience? Slash: I'd say I definitely have, but the fact I was high at the time kills the validity of it. There was definitely a handful of ghostly things flying around. Read the entire interview at Metro.

More...