Slate 3.0 to 3.5

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
I need some advice. Back in May I bought Steven Slate Drums 3.0 and used them for drum replacement for half of an album I recorded. I haven't touched them since July, because I've been at school and not mixing. I understand SSD 3.5 has come out since then, so I'm wondering a few things:

What is new? AMG mode? Are the drum sounds different? Cymbals are different?

I always like to update my software and stuff, but I'm worried. I need to record the rest of the album I started in May this January, and I need the drums to sound the same as they did in May.
Can AMG be turned off so I get the snare triggering/replacement as I do with 3.0? Are the kick and snare sounds changed/altered? If the snares and kicks have been changed, I should either change the old songs to 3.5, or do the new songs with 3.0.

Obviously the best advice is to just hold off on the update until I'm done with the album, but I'd rather update now if it's not going to affect my sound.

Thanks everyone!

AMG mode only applies to programmed drums, and just makes it more realistic. I'm pretty sure you can turn it off if you want to, but I haven't messed with. I don't think any of the actual sounds have changed, I don't know why he would do that.

I was in the middle of a full length when i had 3.0 and when 3.5 came....I said fuck it and i just waited.....3.0 sounds plenty good enough........also i believe the drum map has changed again a bit....so depending on what you got you might have to move some hits around....which always sucks

I need some advice. Back in May I bought Steven Slate Drums 3.0 and used them for drum replacement for half of an album I recorded. I haven't touched them since July, because I've been at school and not mixing. I understand SSD 3.5 has come out since then, so I'm wondering a few things:

What is new? AMG mode? Are the drum sounds different? Cymbals are different?

I always like to update my software and stuff, but I'm worried. I need to record the rest of the album I started in May this January, and I need the drums to sound the same as they did in May.
Can AMG be turned off so I get the snare triggering/replacement as I do with 3.0? Are the kick and snare sounds changed/altered? If the snares and kicks have been changed, I should either change the old songs to 3.5, or do the new songs with 3.0.

Obviously the best advice is to just hold off on the update until I'm done with the album, but I'd rather update now if it's not going to affect my sound.

Thanks everyone!
as advised by any pro slate user, keep a folder for each update

i can go "back in time" in seconds just be selecting a sound from a different folder.

I use the Virtual Instrument (Kontakt), though, not the samples with Drumagog. I assume this negates what you're saying, correct?

as advised by any pro slate user, keep a folder for each update

i can go "back in time" in seconds just be selecting a sound from a different folder.

Excuse my probably stupid question... but talking about folders, where the hell do you set the route for the drumkits?
I started yesterday using SSD and everytime I load a drumset I must select the folder manually.
I didn't have much time to read manuals... sorry.

load Kontakt Player, then go to options, then there is a section for filepath. Make sure this path ends with STEVEN SLATE DRUMS and then you won't have to select a folder each time you load a kit. You also can do a batch resave once you've selected this new folder.

3.5 changes from 3.0:

Slight tweaks in the cymbals
Better snare sounds in SSD Player
New Z2 Snare wav/gogs with less attack and more sustain
Improved Drum Map
Improved Vdrum realixim
Advanced AMG for more natural and fluid sound

load Kontakt Player, then go to options, then there is a section for filepath. Make sure this path ends with STEVEN SLATE DRUMS and then you won't have to select a folder each time you load a kit. You also can do a batch resave once you've selected this new folder.

3.5 changes from 3.0:

Slight tweaks in the cymbals
Better snare sounds in SSD Player
New Z2 Snare wav/gogs with less attack and more sustain
Improved Drum Map
Improved Vdrum realixim
Advanced AMG for more natural and fluid sound

Steven,
Could you elaborate more on "Better snare sounds in SSD Player" and "new Z2 snare"? I'm in the middle of another production, so I don't want my drum sound to be altered half-way through if I update to 3.5.

In Kontakt Player, we did some snare adjustments that will make the sit in the mix a bit better. The new Z2 is in wav/gog and is similar to the Z1, but has less transient attack and more sustain, so it sits better in the mix.