Slate Drummer vs Superior Drummer? Which is best?

I haven't watched the video, but I'll give my experience:

Both have their pros and cons. I like Superior's features a lot. I also love the way it sounds. I like Slate's sounds, but it's a bit bare on features compared to SD2.

That said, 8/10 times I can pick out SD2 in a mix. About 6/10 times, I can pick out Slate's processed samples in a mix. (kick 10, snare 12a, the Metallica kick and snare model etc)

Haven't been able to get along with SD2, really. I like the built-in features, but the default samples are obviously processed, and unless I'm missing something, I can't find a way to get them more raw to do my own processing. I also generally prefer Slate's samples as well. If I'm doing pre-processed stuff, I'll use Slate, or more recently Metal Machine. If un-processed, I'll do Addictive Drums, because they are totally un-processed in their rawest form.

a bit OT but well, they both suck in their own way!

Virtual drums are not yet "there" for various reasons.

When I judge virtual drums i divide into three categories, interface, sound and realism.

I've owned every major drum plugin that was put to the marked, they all have their good things
but the bad things are clearly dominant.

Looking at the three categories any drum plugin can score
an 1/3 maybe 2/3 but they never get the full 3/3 due to various reasons.

If the interface is great, either the sound is bad or it sounds very artificial.
If it sounds realistic, either the interface sucks or the sound in general, i think you get the point...

As for the interface, it has to be god damn simple, stripped down to the basics, leaving everything out
that is not abslutely necessary.

As for the sound, we have rather totally raw or totaly processed samples, that's not working, you need both
raw samples to process on your own but also processed samples to blend in if you are not able to process them
to sound any good, best of both worlds.

As for the realism, i always break out in laughter, than cry A LOT wehn i see people putting out drum plugins/libraries
that have like only 3hard, 3medium and 3 soft samples.

This is ridiculous, for fucks sake it's fucking DRUMS, is there any other instrument that has more dynamics?
Doing the complete opposite by offering such a low amount of samples is plainly a bad choice!

I've been thinking about this for quite some time and i can not understand why all these companies are not able to get it
right...

I've been thinking about this for quite some time and i can not understand why all these companies are not able to get it
right...

The guys that can get amazing drum sounds are not going to give away their sound. Even the guys that are known for getting good drums sound like David Bendeth, CLA, Joey Sturgis and the guy that did Karnivool, released half-assed bullshit libraries that sound nothing like the real sounds they can get.

The only guys that truly delivered were Andy Sneap, the Chango guy and maybe Colin Richardson but I've listened to some of his drum stems and they're a thousand times better than the toontrack library.

Reactions: egan. and FIXXXER
Same. For example, I was legitimately surprised by how bad Metalheads was. Absolutely flat and dull. Metal! was also pretty bad with the exception of the Big Crack kit, which is quite good. Of the EZDrummer expansions, Metal Machine is the only one really worth a damn. Have no experience with the Slate expansions, because the stock kits mixed with Trigger has been plenty versatile for me.

Reactions: FIXXXER
Perfect Drums is really perfect...well almost!

The GUI is insanely well built and a pleasure to work with.

The idea of having processed sounds to blend in is also a new and very good approach!

The overall sound is great, though i must say that i am not a fan of the cymbals,
they sound very too "thick" and "brassy" it's hard to explain you have to hear it.

The only real downside is the amount of recorded samples, it works fine on the shells but on cymbals
it sounds not perfect yet, if you like to play around with dynamics a lot.

I am having high hopes for the upcoming expansion though,
expecting thinner sounding cymbals with more dynamic layers! :)

Last edited:
I just sold my BFD3 & Oblivion licenses. Sound was pretty good but I just couldn't stand the horribly complicated GUI.

I find Perfect Drums interesting, too. But I'm not sure if I should buy that - as long as it still is $150 - or wait for the release of Fredman Digital's own sample player, which they are currently developing. Their Daniel Svensson drum library sounds really promising.

Until I make a decision on that I will just use Logic Pro X' drum kit designer. I have to admit, I really like its minimalistic approach (at least for the mix-ready stereo ouput kits). Its sounds are not really snappy enough for metal, but the rock/punk-oriented "smash" and "so cal" kits can be usable.

Last edited:
I did not know Fredman Digital is making their own Sampler,
interesting but going with Perfect Drums is a good decission!

I am realy tired of waiting, waiting for SSD 5 for more than two years now, nothing, no info,
Drumforge guys are also working on their own player, also they can give absolutely no info, WTF?

Superior Drummer 3 will probably never happen. The money is taking them into the beginner/intermediate market. Look at what's being released and follow the money. They're a business and they will go where the money is. For them, it's the "EZ" stuff.

Last edited:
I agree absolutely, Slate Digital is clearly going the Toontrack route but as long as they keep
publishing good plugins i am OK with that.

btw if i did understand everything correctly, SSD5 is already running within the Pearl Drums MIMIC drum module
and beta testing on the plugin version is going on or will start soon.
I am supposed to be on the beta testing team but i haven't heard anything from them yet.

Reactions: Delitzsch
My opinion is it's better to compare SSD with EZ than Superior. Anyway will we ever see SD3? It's been 9 years since the release of version 2.

I agree absolutely, Slate Digital is clearly going the Toontrack route but as long as they keep
publishing good plugins i am OK with that.
Oops. I thought you were talking about Superior Drummer. That's what I was referring to.