Slaughter of the Soul Amplifiers

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
Does anyone know what amps At the Gates used on Slaughter of the Soul? I've always loved that tone. I did a search but all I found was a homemade cabinet.

Thanks

I remember reading here that it was actually some highly-regarded Peavey solid-state amp of that era (Supreme 160 or something), though it might not have been the only source of the tone...

I actually just found the answer. You're right. It was the Peavey Supreme 160, with a Metalzone and HM-2 pedal into the clean channel, along with the homemade cab.

There's a DVD thats got the making of slaughter of the soul, it comes with the album now, I already own the album so i'm not going to buy it but I can't find it anywhere to watch/download online! i'm sure that'd have something on the guitars too.

ok the tone. . .
peavey 160 supreme head, boss super overdrive, boss metal zone and a home made cab with 2 10 inch and 2 12 inch
this is what fredrik wrote in the latest liner notes

I have a feeling the Slaughter of the Soul guitar sound only works in the context of that specific mix.... I think Andy has made a comment like that before as well, but if you really listen, it's not THAT great of a guitar sound... Just works well for that album.

It's possible. But even when it's just the guitar I hear, I really like that sound. The same way I love Bloodbath's guitar tone on Ways to the Grave.

I still use my Supreme 160+Od808 with 5150 blend to this day! Mine was manufactured on 10-31-91, making it extra evil.:Smokedev: I have seen them for as low as $150. Great amp!
5150 blend? You run through 2 amps?

I'm in the same boat as FORBIDDEN.
It's an AWESOME tone for the album, but I personally cannot see myself using that tone for my own music! I actually got a VERY similar tone with my Mark IV, I posted the settings up somewhere! If anyone wants them let me know :)
Cheers

Unless you have the exact same drum tone, same bass tone, same vocal production, same riffs, same people playing the riffs, and Fredrik Nordstrom behind the desk, that guitar sound will suck. Don't be such a dick :p

True that, a good guitar tone is a good guitar tone, and I would say the Slaughter... tone is only good because it fits the style/band - in other words, only good because of excuses made for it IMO