Slayer... Distortion...

derfbonker

Flaccid Member
Sep 4, 2007
I love Slayer's guitar tone, but that is not what this thread is about. I just got the new CD, and there is a ton of distortion, all over the thing. I'm cool with clipping, and loud mixes, but obvious distortion is not something I like at all. The only CD I have heard that is worse than this is the remixed Burn the Priest album. I don't even listen to that one because the distortion is just too much.

check out Misery Signals - Mirrors album. I think someone slipped during the mastering. It distorts all over the place!
I don't understand how this happens and is allowed to then be sold??

That's a Rick Rubin production, right? I've heard a few people slam his mastering engineer for clipping the hell out of everything lately, and from what I've heard, I can't disagree. There's obvious distortion on Johnny Cash's American IV. It's Johnny friggin' Cash, one guy and an acoustic guitar, and there's noticeable clipping. Audioslave, too.

Granted, Slayer's never had the cleanest production, and I think Divine Intervention sounds absolutely awful (that kick drum = :puke:) but that's just me.

I personally haven't heard an album from them since Reign in Blood that has touched its production. In general, I stopped listening to them after Seasons but have heard snippets of most their albums that followed.

rubin's raped the last few RHCP albums as well

a while ago i saw someone post a screenshot of the waveform from 1 of the new slayer songs, and it looked like someone drew a line across the screen with a huge black marker

talking about screen shots, heres two for a laugh, the first is slayers 'cult' of the new album, showing 3 minutes, and the second is anthrax's deathrider, from the greater of two evils album, i just look at em and laugh

yeah they are in your face, but the clipping really does bug me on both productions

slayerlol.jpg

anthraxlol.jpg

That's a Rick Rubin production, right? I've heard a few people slam his mastering engineer for clipping the hell out of everything lately, and from what I've heard, I can't disagree. There's obvious distortion on Johnny Cash's American IV. It's Johnny friggin' Cash, one guy and an acoustic guitar, and there's noticeable clipping. Audioslave, too.

Granted, Slayer's never had the cleanest production, and I think Divine Intervention sounds absolutely awful (that kick drum = :puke:) but that's just me.

the guitars on Slipknot's "3: subliminal verses" sound like they're clipping or something also (i hate it personnally)

talking about screen shots, heres two for a laugh, the first is slayers 'cult' of the new album, showing 3 minutes, and the second is anthrax's deathrider, from the greater of two evils album, i just look at em and laugh

those don't look too unlike every metal album in the past decade or so.

yeah i know most metal albums are compressed and limited to shit, but its just the clipping that does me head in. yeah i was just listenin back to the latest slipknot cd and thats got alot of it too.

I guess some of the ones I was picturing (as early back as like In Flames' Jester Race) might just be really compressed & limited and not necessarily clipping now that I think of it.

Why don't they keep it from 'going over' 0 dbs these days? That .0000000001 dbs isn't winning a volume war. If I was a professional musician or whoever and I listened to my album and heard that shit, I'd be hella pissed.

Why don't they keep it from 'going over' 0 dbs these days? That .0000000001 dbs isn't winning a volume war. If I was a professional musician or whoever and I listened to my album and heard that shit, I'd be hella pissed.

It's not things that go beyond 0 dB (on a finished CD, it's also impossible to go over 0 dB, anything "over" that is simply left out) that make the snap, crackle & pop happen. You can get it even at extremely quiet RMS if you slam the master channel too hard. That is, it happens regardless of final RMS.

It's not things that go beyond 0 dB (on a finished CD, it's also impossible to go over 0 dB, anything "over" that is simply left out) that make the snap, crackle & pop happen. You can get it even at extremely quiet RMS if you slam the master channel too hard. That is, it happens regardless of final RMS.

Ya, I know. At some point they're going over too much. On playback, do they just say "eh, no one will notice and I'm never gonna listen to it again anyway so I don't care."