Slayer Vs. Slayer

Officer Nice

Masshole
Oct 7, 2002
SLAYER VS. SLAYER.

I myself hate pretty much Everything Slayer's done
Since 1992. That includes Divine Intervention (bad mix)
The Undisputed Attitude Covers (What are you thinking?)
Diabolous in Musica (Is that spanish for spend more time
writing the record?) and most recently God Hates Us All
which is the most offensive to me since the ol' band-wagon
down tuning is ever present - and the Hanneman/King
signature sound is gone. Slayer to me is
1. Hell Awaits
2. Haunting the Chapel
3. Show No Mercy
4. Reign in Blood
5. South of Heaven
(this includes their cover of In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida)
6. Seasons in the Abyss

(Old) SLAYER vs. (NEW) SLAYER.

Let's hear it.

I am a fan of every album they have released. I don't think the last two albums are bad but my favorite three albums by them are:

1. Reign In Blood
  2. South Of Heaven
  3. Seasons In The Abyss
    [/list=1]

i do agree Slayer has gone downhill, Diabolus in Musica was terrible, absolutely terrible- Divine Intervention I listened to maybe once or twice and it has as you said awful production, but it is exceedingly heavy, so i guess one can give them this album.

God hates us all i actually kinda like, it sounds a bit like entombed- sure the riffs seem to be the same for most of the songs- tom is yelling now, but the album still is very very heavy, Bostaph is amazing so it is okay for me.

i think the real problem, is the fact that Kerry King took over the band, Hanneman always was the better writer, and much more creative, maybe when lombardo comes back, hanneman will decide to do alot of the writing again.

1 Reign in Blood still my favorite album from any band
2 hell awaits, tom plays bass? I thought he just sang?
3 South of Heaven

First 5 are classics, Divine Intervention awful, Diabolus and God Hates Us All are ok albums.

Unlike other people, I'd rather see them try new stuff (like on God Hates Us All) than just do typical Slayer stuff again and again, how it ends up is besides the point, they've made their classic albums, and I don't understand why people are expecting them to put out anything even close to that. Most bands never even reaches a creative high like they did, and if they do, it's usually only for one album, and Slayer put out THREE through and through masterpieces.

And the King/Hannemann signature sound is definitely still all over the place. Anyone with musical ear and knowledge can tell that.

"Unlike other people, I'd rather see them try new stuff (like on God Hates Us All) than just do typical Slayer stuff again and again, how it ends up is besides the point, they've made their classic albums, and I don't understand why people are expecting them to put out anything even close to that."

I'm not suggesting Slayer need regurgiate the same stuff
time after time with a different title. But giving up the
trademark hanneman-king signature sound? It was fucking
badass and unique. Like the Tipton-Downing sound.
There was nothing dated about it since they invented it.
Personally, anything they put out now is bullshit compared
to the harccore fucking awesome powerful speed metal
they invented and unleashed to the public. It can't be touched
by any metal band in existance. Slayer was the influence
to so so so many bands today and that's undeniable.

"And the King/Hannemann signature sound is definitely still all over the place. Anyone with musical ear and knowledge can tell that."

You're on crack buddy. Are you kidding? Listen to their classic
stuff and then compare it with that awful mess they put out
now. They're not writing the awesome power chords anymore
and they tune way too low. Sounds like Korn- if you like that
fine, but it's not >SLAYER< ...it's just not. Anyone with a musicial
ear my sphincter. No offense. Every damm song on Diabolous
and God Hates us All is the same repetitious crap.

Just my opinion.

-OfficerNice.

Most bands never even reaches a creative high like they did, and if they do, it's usually only for one album, and Slayer put out THREE through and through masterpieces.

And the King/Hannemann signature sound is definitely still all over the place. Anyone with musical ear and knowledge

^ I totally agree w/ the officer.

Divine intervention was ok, but you could tell it was the beginning of the end for the band.....hopefully the return of lombardo can bring slayer back to their former glory :headbang:

ok here is my thing on this subject
im a huge slayer fan and i have to say my all time favorite is
LIVE UNDEAD so i guess you can say i like the old slayer better than the new.But just like every band they have to devlope like every other band as a group and as indaviduals(sp?) but al least they didnt sell out like some other bands *cough* metallica *cough*they didnt go from singing about death and distuction to skiping threw a feild of beautyful wild flowers
i say slayer = metal forever and regardless of the development of the band

I would have to agree that Slayer has gone downhill in the studio, but i Know for a fact that they still kick ass live. And my favorite album without a doubt is Seasons \m/

I think Speed is right. King Kerry King has way too much
control over Slayer right now, but at least Kerry King
has been really fucking entertaining about his comments
toward that midget homo Robb or Robert or whatever
the fuck he's calling himself this week Flynn.
Those are priceless!

-OfficerNice.

Originally posted by MindInsane
SLAYER KICKS ASS....PERIOD....END OF CONVERSATION...

Wow, you're a master of opinion. You must be
Validictorian of your typewriter maintenance school.

We heard it here. SLAYER KICKS ASS PERIOD
END OF CONVERSATION.

-OfficerNice.

hehe i like how officer nice put that :)

just wanted to comment on the "no other band will reach that kind of greatness again thing"

are you forgetting little old Testament... they had some down time on souls of black/ritual... was kinda a testament low point... then came back with low, and turned out the masterpiece The Gathering...

and if thats not a good enough example... how about Death... flawless record's through and through...

or how about Nile, and Theory in Practice... iv seen nothing but amazing albums from them...

personly i think slayer is a fine band... but there track record is rather hit and miss if you ask me... and not nearly as well off as the aforementioned.

-Necro

Originally posted by DEVIANCE
ok here is my thing on this subject
im a huge slayer fan and i have to say my all time favorite is
LIVE UNDEAD so i guess you can say i like the old slayer better than the new.But just like every band they have to devlope like every other band as a group and as indaviduals(sp?) but al least they didnt sell out like some other bands *cough* metallica *cough*they didnt go from singing about death and distuction to skiping threw a feild of beautyful wild flowers
i say slayer = metal forever and regardless of the development of the band

Right on!:headbang:
my favorites are
1. Hell Awaits
2. Show No Mercy
3. Seasons in the Abyss

Ive been a Slayer fan since the Haunting the Chapel 12" was released and I have to say that they have indeed gone downhill. However unlike most of you, I think Divine Intervention was an awesome record. If you cant hear the speed, sheer brutality and old school style on songs like Killing Fields, Sex Murder Art and Dittohead just to name 3, then I dont know what to say. and SCREW your bad production whims.

I am soooo tired of hearing people bitch and cry about what they THINK is poor production.
Turn the fucking thing up and enjoy it for what it is - THRASH METAL!!!!!

Divine Intervention was so much more old school (fast, brutal and thrashy) than its predecessor, the alltime "commerical" Slayer album; Seasons in the Abyss which to me has only 4 great tracks: War Ensemble, Spirit in Black, Born of Fire and Hallowed Point, the rest is pure filler. Sure the songs are "ok" but they are nothing to rave about.
I laugh when people say Divine sucks, but they think Seasons rules, but too each his own.

When Seasons came out I was very dissapointed so I went into my first spin of Divine with a bad attitude that it would suck and was thrilled to hear the old sound and style had returned.

DIM like Seasons had 4 incredible brutal old school tracks: Bitter Peace, Perversions of Pain (man if you cant hear the Hell Awaits and South of Heaven overtones in this track then I dont know what to say) Screaming From the Sky and of course one of their most deadliest songs ever POINT!

The rest of the album with the exception of Scrum is utter SHIT and I would rather listen to Yanni than subject myself to the nausiating swill of the other 6 tracks on DIM. I found those 4 tracks to be a combination of the old stuff while still moving forward.
In fact, the 4 songs I mentioned above from DIM are 4 of my alltime favorite Slayer tracks.

GHUA only has one total shit song: Threshold, which sounds like a pantera song, however it lacks any songs that TRULY hold the old school Slayer sound at heart like the 4 I mentioned from DIM.
Sure songs like Exile and Disciple are fairly brutal, but as someone pointed out the signature old school Slayer sound is absent.

They need to go back to tuning like they used to, write more FAST and brutal songs and come full circle with the old school sound and style they helped pioneer.
I will go into the new record with an open mind, but I am not holding my breath.

Slayer so have the potential to make another awesome record as well as help out some killer metal bands, yet they keep bringing shitty bands to support them on the road. Id love to see them take TESTAMENT, EXODUS, VIOLENCE, NUCLEAR ASSAULT or DARK ANGEL along next time, but they wont because any of these bands would blow them away and they know that because TESTAMENT already did that in 91!
Its too bad because the newer generation of Slayer fans need to be turned on to some REAL metal bands!

my favorites are:
Reign in Blood
Hell Awaits
Divine Intervention
Show No Mercy
South of Heaven

DIM / SITA
GHUA

Originally posted by OfficerNice
Originally posted by MindInsane
SLAYER KICKS ASS....PERIOD....END OF CONVERSATION...

Wow, you're a master of opinion. You must be
Validictorian of your typewriter maintenance school.

We heard it here. SLAYER KICKS ASS PERIOD
END OF CONVERSATION.

-OfficerNice.

Keep it up sweetness...you're so incredibly respectful...your mama must have raised you right:)