sleepytime gorilla museum in new york

dreaming neon darkspot

natures' retard
May 13, 2002
in times of grace
so i left baltimore on a greyhound that was an hour late and arrived in philadelphia around 1. will picked me up and we drove around - it looks like a fun city, must go to see more of it some day. we got stuck in and then totally defeated the traffic to trenton (aka got lost trying to avoid the traffic and found our way again). were pissed because none of the ticket machines at the train station would take cash, got onto the express train and paid our amusing dreadlocked conductor $5 extra because we didnt have tickets. during the ride, i questioned the purpose of various bodily parts, and then we got to new york.

we wandered around looking for food places, stopped at a greek-run diner and got this really awesome chicken dish (Chicken Athenien - pics included). we figured out where the highline ballroom was, then walked around so i could gawk at the obscenely-expensive New York clothes and we got stuck in a downpour. we got to the place, wondered how sleepytime's beat-up-to-hell green van made it there from california, and waited for the doors to open.

okay, so the highline ballroom was beautiful - varnished floors, amazing lighting, totally pristine bathrooms with REALLY cool sinks. they were playing led zepplin over the PA before the first band, which definately got my approval. them playing led zepplin ... not the first band.

made out of babies - the music was pretty generic angry-metal, though we were just hearing bass and drums for the most part since we were right up front. totally hot topic-ed out singer chick who, the entire time, was either PACING or grabbing her hair and/or reaching out to nothing because she was so filled with torment ... or something. she did more hyperventiliating than singing and had basically no vocal technique. i guess i can only look at a chubby chick wearing a black vinyl babydoll dress, striped stockings and black Mary Janes for so long before i just get really annoyed.

tub ring - the keyboardist dry humps his keyboard and the singer talks about molesting children. they were FUN! really energetic music - like a mix of pop and metal - and, obviously, a great stage presence. we're definately going to see these guys again if we can.

and then was sleepytime gorilla museum. that review will come later when my brain can comprehend what i'm recounting.

sleepytime gorilla museum:

okay, so if you have seen then, you KNOW. if you haven't, you can only attempt to imagine and still wouldn't be close.
so all the sub-human-looking musicians and their dancers and whoever the hell else they recruited, with their homemade clothes and instruments and make-up paraded through the crowd, then around a small cluster of people, which will and i were in the middle of, playing this renissance-y folk sounding melody. they continued up to the stage where it became this tribal percussion-filled metal-ish song.
as i wasn't familiar with their music i didn't really know which song/piece of performance art was which, only that it was all the most visually, aurally, sonically complex and amazing thing i have ever experienced.

does tub ring still sound mr. bungle-ish? On the earlier albums the singer was definitely a wannabe Mike Patton, but I assume they may have changed their sound a bit upon debuting with The End, a la Estradasphere.

Sounds like it was an interesting show. I've always wondered what they're like in a live setting.

we were completely sober the whole time.

people were smoking weed in the venue but sgm totally don't strike me as a band you'd smoke weed to. well, at some points, but everything was just entirely too complex and not something i'd be able to keep up with if m senses were that dulled.

now if i were to see them when i was on mushrooms, i think my brain would melt.

yeah, words can't express how amazed I was and still am. the Nevermore Seattle show was the best show i've been to, on a personal level...

but last night's SGM show was the single greatest concert I have EVER been to on any other level.

if you have the chance to see them, do NOT miss it. holy fuck.

SGM? I was at the NYC show too (as a rep) and I certainly must say that I had a great time.

If anyone's in Chicago, check out their show there:

:::shameless plug:::

Rock Against Rock pioneers SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM, who released their debut album for THE END RECORDS titled 'In Glorious Times' in May, are heading to the 'Windy City' this Sunday August 26th, 2007.

Be sure to check them out!

08/26/07 Sun @ The Metro Chicago - Chicago, IL (w/ Tub Ring)

Also, an mp3 of the song ‘Helpless Corpses Enactment’ has been posted online and can be heard here:
http://media.theendrecords.com/SleepytimeGorillaMuseum_InGloriousTimes_HelplessCorpsesEnactment.mp3

A video for the song can be viewed here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ELyco68w5ks