Slide Substitute(my idiotic idea)

ShadowOfDeath

Warrior of Black Metal
Sep 20, 2003
New Hampshire
firec0re.net
Okay earliar while playing i wanted to try a slide effect. I don't own a slide. I can't drive down to the store to get one. So i tried this idea. It works well especially if either a) you're broke and pay the couple dollars for the slide like me b) you lost yours or c) you can't get one even if you have the money.

What you do is take a solid round object(I find the commen Duracell battery perfect because it goes right across my neck vertically and touches all the strings), grip it(use your first finger, in guitar terms, and your third to grip the sides while your middle finger holds the back so it doesn't slip. Lightly touch the strings with it, too much and two little pressure will make the strings buzz, you won't hear anything. Then move it up and down the frets and you'll notice it works perfectly. And they're small enough to fit in your palm if you're careful not to drop it.

It's a dumb idea but i myself don't have a slide so it works perfectly. Slides are built round for this reason which gave me the idea. Only this one you can't put around your finger. I know, i know, it's very stupid because slides are like $5 or even less but it's kind of resourceful. Especially if you want to save those $5 for lunch at mcdonalds or something :p

I've known about this for ages, but I rarely find an instance where I need a slide. If you can do it, hold the battery between your 2nd and middle fingers, that will give you a bit more control.

a drumstick also works very well for this.......... believe me, I tried it........
though I use to hold it between 2 fingers (well, it' a little longer than a battery of course....)

eh what happens when you break the battery and all hte acid comes out and destroys both your hand and the guitar?