Slightly off-topic.... an elte melodic metal band needs to cover this.

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I was doing something uncommon and listening to a classic rock radio station this morning on the way home from work and they played "Mrs. Robinson" by Simon and Garfunkel and I said to myself "I haven't heard "sound of Silence" in forever" so when I got home, I looked it up on Youtube. I saw a video with a couple of gray old men on it and clicked on it. I was a live rendition done in 2009. It sent chills up my spine !! This song REALLY needs to have a PROPER cover done by a band that do it justice.

Bryant

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense Glenn, as I actually really like Nevermore, but they butchered that song pretty badly. As far as Heir Apparent..... well, there isn't the harmony vocals. The only "decent" cover I have heard was by a band called Bobaflex. There is no cover I have heard that is able to get that close to that eerie atmosphere Art and Paul create with it.

Bryant

No offense Glenn, as I actually really like Nevermore, but they butchered that song pretty badly.
I think that would be a fair assessment if they intended to "cover" it. However, Warrel doesn't seem interested in simply "covering" songs, so much as re-imagining them. Many metal bands have covered songs by simply turning up the guitar, quickening the beat and delivering a harsher vocal. Although such an approach typically yields an enjoyable end result, it takes absolutely no creativity. Conversely, Nevermore's re-imagining of "Sound of Silence" has created a completely different song, that pays homage to the original, and works to underscore the darkness in Simon's lyrics, through the tone of Nevermore's music and intensity of Dane's vocals.

I think that would be a fair assessment if they intended to "cover" it. However, Warrel doesn't seem interested in simply "covering" songs, so much as re-imagining them. Many metal bands have covered songs by simply turning up the guitar, quickening the beat and delivering a harsher vocal. Although such an approach typically yields an enjoyable end result, it takes absolutely no creativity. Conversely, Nevermore's re-imagining of "Sound of Silence" has created a completely different song, that pays homage to the original, and works to underscore the darkness in Simon's lyrics, through the tone of Nevermore's music and intensity of Dane's vocals.

100% agree. You'll notice in the notes it says the arrangement is by Dane, ergo it is not simply a cover as implied. I think he did a brilliant job of underscoring the darkness that almost only seems hinted at in the original.

Well you mentioned it....anyone remember Kik Tracee, a 80's hair metal band? They did a really good version of Mrs Robinson:

That makes sense. I was probably a little harsh on the assessment of Nevermore's cover. I should of been a little more specific in my first post. I would like to hear the cover WITH the two part harmony intact. The two part harmony is what distinguished Simon and Garfunkel from, well...... most every other artists other than maybe The Everly Brothers. Having said that, I probably wouldn't be too enthralled with a metal cover of Bye Bye Love. Ha ha ha....

Bryant

The Nevermore cover of this song is its only acceptable "metal" cover. They completely changed it around and made it super brutal, etc. Hearing the original re-enacted with noodly guitars and double bass in the background would be an insult to the original.

The Nevermore cover of this song is its only acceptable "metal" cover. They completely changed it around and made it super brutal, etc. Hearing the original re-enacted with noodly guitars and double bass in the background would be an insult to the original.

I do think double bass and hyper-active guitars would kill it, but I still think it is doable in a metal way. It would definitely be a "challenge."

Bryant

I would like to hear the cover WITH the two part harmony intact. The two part harmony is what distinguished Simon and Garfunkel from, well...... most every other artists other than maybe The Everly Brothers.
I'd actually like to hear more bands do cover songs, at least as their bonus tracks. It seems a lot of bands are doing bonus tracks. I'd much prefer to hear a new slant on a great old song, than the songs the band didn't feel were good to be released in the first place.

No offense Glenn, as I actually really like Nevermore, but they butchered that song pretty badly. As far as Heir Apparent..... well, there isn't the harmony vocals. The only "decent" cover I have heard was by a band called Bobaflex. There is no cover I have heard that is able to get that close to that eerie atmosphere Art and Paul create with it.

Bryant

I love how Nevermore takes a cover and makes it their own. I find all of their cover tunes to be a step above most of the fray because they put their own spin on it instead of playing it straight. And for the record, I think Nevermore's version of Sound of Silence is crazy wicked good!

Britt

My favorite Queensryche cover which just happens to be a Simon & Garfunkel tune ... Scarborough Fair. Where has the time (and DeGarmo) gone?

I love how Nevermore takes a cover and makes it their own. I find all of their cover tunes to be a step above most of the fray because they put their own spin on it instead of playing it straight. And for the record, I think Nevermore's version of Sound of Silence is crazy wicked good!

Britt

Well, as I said, I actually like Nevermore quite a bit.......and normally love their covers as well. I really don't like that one though. As I stated, the harmony vocals are an absolute MUST !! Someone else posted the Vanden Plas "PoKR" cover. I bet Vanden Plas COULD make a respectable cover of this song.