Slipknot-All Hope Is Gone..Guitarsound

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
just listening to this CD again...

well, of course the whole mix is stellar!
but what I'm absolutely loving about the sound are the guitars.
Mainly because I've been searching for new guitarsounds myself lately, and this guitarsound is definitely MUCH different from the ones I usually like (I admit, I'm a Sneap fanboi ;) ), still so really good and UNIQUE.

thick and juicy mids, soooo tasty.

Yeah, I'm guessing they acctualy used the rivera mick thompson signature, I mean.. even as an ego trip, wouldn't you want to have your sig amp on your record ? :D

Anywho, the clips i've heard of the rivera are really nice

Are you sure that Collin didn't reamp guitars through 5150 III?

I don't think so, what I like about this guitartone is that the gain-structure/texture is so completely different from the usual sound, don't think it's one of those amps we usually love so much...(the amp in my arsenal that comes closest is the VHT, still really different character)
I'd guess it's the knucklehead, would love to KNOW though

I actually hoped there would be more revealed on the DVD, but that didn't happen. I think this whole mix is crushing. Colin always seems to get the best out of the mix with keeping the band in regard and not losing it's identity.

Don't know if anybody has seen these clips: http://www.rivera.com/products/knuckle/kr7.php

RIVERA KR7

Mick Thomson and Paul Rivera adjusted the frequencies in the midrange to give the amp more punch and bring more definition to the bottom-end. Mick also had the gain increased and "sweetened" the top-end to compliment his guitars. Mick wanted this amp to be flexible for all playing styles but specialize in aggressive, quick and defined riffs. Complimenting his signature amp, Mick Thomson chose the Celestion K100’s in his K412T M.T. and K412B M.T. signature cabinets to increase the headroom for maximum attack with lower tuned guitars.

I'm also pretty shure:
Thunderverb and Herbert + an other.
Was in an interview @ Gitarre & Bass.

If it's very very important I could search for the release. It's somewhere here...

Its definitely not a herbert. Jim, has been using Oragne since volume 3 and mick used a pitbull on that album with the fatbottom cab, and a knucklehead reverb w/ fatbottom cab live. From what I heard from him talking about what he was using in the studio, he was primarily using his signature knucklehead for his recording tone.

There was a Guitar World magazine where he talked about ther setups during volume 3, basically they all setup in the live room, they set blankets on the guitar amps to prevent bleed into the drums and had Corey singing in the booth. They really worried about the guitar bleed because they were pushing their amps so hard into poweramp saturation the volumes would slay the drums. And from my experimentation with analog saturation, it would seem that they push their poweramps to the max and then slam the recorded medium to tape that is being saturated pretty hard. Take a guitar track of a 5150 and slam it hard on a dark tape simulator and you will get very similar tones. I think their tone is a combination of getting less preamp distortion, more power amp distortion, extreme cabinet isolation and post analog saturation.

OK, I've found the release from a German Guitar Mag.

Jim on "All Hope is gone":
-Diezel Herbert + Rockerverb 100 combined with Labs-PCP-Signal Splitter
-Diezel + Orange Cabs
-For cleaner Tones Rockerverb 50 Combo

He mentioned that he used exclusively these Amps for the record, also for lead tones.
Plus tons of pedals(30-40) for the stuff underneath the main lines.

He complains also about the whole LP, he mentioned that they've rushed through the record hardly, because of release dates.

I'm not a Slipknot fan, but Jim seems to be likeable and honest.

Greetz

Amazing guitar tones on that album indeed.

When looking at the recording videos (you can see on the Rivera youtube page) it sounds like Mick used his signature amp. His playing (he digs really hard) plays a big part on his tone obviously :)