SLIPKNOT Drummer's Famous Dad Praises His Son's Band

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
SLIPKNOT drummer Jay Weinberg is the son of Max Weinberg, drummer for Bruce Springsteen's E STREET BAND and one-time bandleader for Conan O'Brien. In a new interview with Rolling Stone, Max spoke about his son's abilities and his job with SLIPKNOT, saying: "Jay is an unbelievable drummer. Two years in a row he's been named the best metal drummer out there. They have very dedicated fans and their music is intense, and I like intense music. It's complicated. I couldn't do it. I've seen him up close and I don't know how he does it." Max added: "I had nothing to to do with it. He taught himself. He'll be 27 this year and he's just a killer drummer and a great kid. It's so much fun for me to see him play, and he's a virtual artist. He lives in Nashville. He's doing quite a bit of stuff. He's writing songs on his own and the band is making plans to do another record, a follow-up to the last one, which did very well." Asked where he watches SLIPKNOT shows from, Max replied: "I don't go up front. I won't go up front since I'd get knocked around. I watch on the side of the stage or at the board. The drums and the vocals are the loudest things in the mix and the way he plays double bass, he's got one of those drum sets and uses all of it. That's been very pleasing for me." Jay Weinberg joined SLIPKNOT in 2014 following the dismissal of previous drummer and founding member Joey Jordison. According to The Pulse Of Radio, SLIPKNOT singer Corey Taylor said about a year after Jay and bassist Alessandro "Vman" Venturella joined the band that the lineup had really clicked live: "Jay and Alex, they're doing great. It's such a great kind of chemistry. It's completely different than the original nine, but in a lot of ways as we've done all these shows now, there's a certain vibe that's just different, you know, and it feels good." Jay Weinberg played on SLIPKNOT's last album, ".5: The Gray Chapter" and the subsequent two-year world tour. SLIPKNOT is on hiatus now although several members of the group are beginning to write material for their next record.

Continue reading...