Slough Feg/Bible fo the Devil Chicago 4/28

modernwizardry

I want stout!
Aug 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
satanshallow.bandcamp.com
Looks to be a great show. I thought Animal Spirits was great so I'm excited for this. Bible of the Devil rocks too and Stone Magnum sounds good from the myspace songs (ozzy/sabbathy doom).

Quenchers Saloon
2401 N. Western Ave., Chicago, IL 60647

Bible of The Devil (IL) - 12:00 pm
http://www.myspace.com/bibleofthedevil

Slough Feg (CA) - 11:00 pm
http://www.sloughfeg.com/home.htm

Stone Magnum (IN) - 10:15 pm
http://www.myspace.com/stonemagnumdoom

Arriver (IL) - 9:30 pm
http://www.myspace.com/arriver

$5 Donation. As always, 21+.

Damn, that's THIS week already?????
That will be a last minute decision for me.
With kid's spring sports and stuff I wouldn't be free until about 8:30 or 9.
Slough Feg are always great live.
I still haven't heard the new one yet.
Just one of many releases I am so damn behind on!

Went to the show last night. Wow. Slough Feg were on fire. Met up with ModernWizardry from the forum. It was at Quenchers which is a little bar that has live bands play once in a while. The sound was good asides for Slough Fegs vocals which were really low. It still did not stop them from being incredible.

Arriver was the first band. They bought tons of freinds and co-workers to the show. You could even tell since it seemed like everyone knew them personally. Plus the crowd for them did not fit this show. Most people were drinking wine and wore funny hats and wigs. I think it was someones birthday also so they were in the bar area too. They could not decide on a sound. 1 black metal song, 1 punk song, 1 noise soing, 1 indie rock song. They were not good at all.

Stone Magnum was up next. I saw them open for Raven. They were decent enough then. Once they got on stage they mentioned they had a line up change. It seemed the singer and bass player left and now the guitarist sang. He sounded nothing like the singer I saw who was actually really good. I think the average weight of the members was 250 to 300 pounds. They were super white trash and bored everyone to death. They played a 70's hard rock / doomish style. After 1 song the place had maybe 10 people still watching. They were not that good. Lacked any energy. The highlight was the bass player who was pushing over 300 was walking backwards and slipped off stage. He caught himself in time so he didnt fall. They tried to play 1 last song and the guy who put the show on yelled, NOPE!. Thank God for small miracles.

Then I noticed Bible of the Devil setting up....this was not a good things since I cant stand them and they were headlinging. I figured Slough Feg and them were changing set times. Nope. They were just sharing gear thank God. Once they started they were non stop. Mike Scalzi is the greatest frontman in metal. Damn....he is all over the place and not missing a beat. We has climing over the tables and on the seats and not missing a note when playing. Totally intense. he almost goes into a zone when performing. He did a few songs just singing and tried to get this piano top open so he could play piano. He was like a rabid animal performing. They played stuff from the new disc like Second Coming and a few others and opened with Highlander from the Twilight of the Idols disc. They played Ape Uprising and stuff from Traveler as well. People were really into them. The small room had about 50 to 60 there. For a Thursday night at 11:30 that is good for zero advertising. They only played for under an hour but I could have watched for at least 3 and not been bored.

Bible of the Devil played next and I left. Worst band in Chicago.

On a side note. Guys should not be wearing skinney jeans. I saw so many butt cracks in was scary. At one time there was like 4 guys setting up gear and bending over and ModernWizardry and I both looked at each other and laughed because there were 4 cracks all in the same area.

Slough Feg is a band everyone needs to see live once and bands need to learn from on how to perfom live.

Slough Feg is a band everyone needs to see live once and bands need to learn from on how to perfom live.

'cept they never seem to wanna come to the East coast...:(

I'v been waiting and waiting and waiting ever since I discovered Traveller (and couldn't make a NY show years back)...:erk:

Wow, Slough Feg did blow me away. They played almost everything I wanted to hear including High Passage/Low Passage, Second Coming, and The Tell Tale Heart. The new album Animal Spirits is phenomenal. They are the best live band I've ever seen...the energy, musicianship, songs are all top notch. The singer/guitarist was definitely "in the zone."

I did stick around for Bible of the Devil and it was pretty sad. Again they played so loud. They played only 1 song from their latest and only decent album Freedom Metal. At least the ended with Rainbow's Long Live Rock and Roll but it was not worth the assault on my ears. Wish I would had left after Slough Feg.