slow down, guitars....

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
ok so i know for a fact there's a lot of dudes recording stuff at slower speeds and then speeding it up and re-amping.

i know how to do a half-tempo pass and timestretch -100%. but it sounds fake and sometimes its hard to figure out the part in half of the speed...

i know there's a way to do it by percentage or something

can anyone shred the light on this?

I don't know of anyone doing this besides Dragonforce, and to be honest if you can't play it at full speed, write something you CAN play at full speed.

ok yeah, tell me all day that they should write and play at proper tempo

but there is popular metal that isnt being done that way
i dont honestly want to sit in the studio for 8 hours trying to record 4 riffs.

sometimes people write stuff they can't actually physically perform perfectly. we all know this, we quantize drummers all the time.

someone on here has to know the method. cuz its being done on a lot of shit.

Shit I didn't know anybody did this at all either. I seen Dragonforce live, they seemed to pull it off well enough to me and I'm pretty picky with live performances. Why the hell would anybody wanna do it anyway? It makes the stuff undo-able live if it is done that way.

Because its easy to fake it and make it perfect in the studio, and have the next 2+ months before the tour starts nailing your part before it matters. Makes sense hearing about albums written in the studio. Not everyone does it, but it happens all the time.

all i know is that for tremolo picked riffs, it's easier to record the riff with the individual notes played for lets say 1/4 instead of 1/8, and then go back and delete one half of the notes played.makes it easier to get the changes right, esp when doing fast black/death metal.

however, i've never heard of recording a riff at half speed and then performing a time stretch.

I got this idea out of the blue last month for a sweep part, but when i recorded in protools at half speed it sounded like the chipmunks when it was played back in normal speed. So maybe i did something wrong but yea if there was a way to do this i would love to know as well. Ive had a few bands that honestly needed this done, it would have saved me half a day of tracking 1-2 stinking riffs.

Most metal bands are writing stuff they can not pull off very well, or shoot pull of at all for that matter. So yea anything to save my sanity when tracking would be great.

Great question Joey....

This is for Nuendo (but it will work with any other DAW I suppose).
Just give the guitarist click that´s slower than the actual song and let them play to this click. Then mark the recorded section and go to the edit menu and select time stretch.
In the menu type in the recorded tempo and then you select the desired tempo (which is the real tempo of the song) and then you click apply.
Just move the DI to the section in the song where it belongs (make sure you have the grid turned on) and reamp it. That´s all. :)

I already did changes up to 20 bpm that way! No problem.
You have to record the drums with a click of course. :rolleyes:

So basically you have to mute everything else and let the guitarist track to the new slower click then right?

Also do you have to reamp the dir?

Yep, exactly.
It sounds better to time stretch the DI and then reamp it as to time stretch the original amp signal.

each way works. :p

A long time ago I read that Trey from Morbid Angel couldn´t play slowly so this would work, too...(or was it the drummer?! :loco: Can´t remember)

ok yeah, tell me all day that they should write and play at proper tempo

but there is popular metal that isnt being done that way
i dont honestly want to sit in the studio for 8 hours trying to record 4 riffs.

sometimes people write stuff they can't actually physically perform perfectly. we all know this, we quantize drummers all the time.

someone on here has to know the method. cuz its being done on a lot of shit.
am i the only one disturbed by the highlighted statement? to me that sound like you don't care to much for audio recording. that you want quick results without hard work. i just don't get this attitude of not wanting to learn your instrument and letting tools and tricks to get you to sound like who you're not...cause you get exposed at live shows anyways.

Why not just do it at proper speed and not cheat? Surely the guys aren't that shit that they have to pull a Dragonforce?

there's this other band that used to use this trick all the time, mostly with pianos...i'm trying to remember what they're called, but i'm really hitting a wall here...

oh yea, that's right - it was the BEATLES

am i the only one disturbed by the highlighted statement? to me that sound like you don't care to much for audio recording. that you want quick results without hard work. i just don't get this attitude of not wanting to learn your instrument and letting tools and tricks to get you to sound like who you're not...cause you get exposed at live shows anyways.

not to fight someone else's battles or anything, but you might want to re-think what you're saying here man...

Well look at it this way... say you have a really cool idea that you can't physically play yet. You are a band that only records an album once every two years and you are paying a good penny for the studio time. Do you want to put something inferior down on tape that you can physically do, just because of some old fashioned stubbornness? Or do you want to "cheat" to get your great idea down, and then spend the time after learning the part?

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you can get your chops up before you have to play it live.

Not to mention, I think a lot of people here don't even play live anyway. They just want to write songs and give them the justice of a proper sounding recording.

Also, if you are on the other side, producing the band.. a lot of the time you have to use these type of "cheats" in order to stay in the band's budget. Without drum editing or vocal editing or any other sort of editing, it would take a ridiculous amount of time to record and no bands would be able to afford it and you'd be out of business very quickly.

scorpio01169 said:

Agreed man. First off, I'd fucking just uninstall life if it took me 8 hours to record 4 riffs. That is just absurd. Secondly, you start cheating now, where does it end? You will have to play it for real eventually. The whole attitude of take-shortcuts-now-and-learn-how-to-actually-play-it-later is really fucking lame. I understand a lot of bands may be doing it, but so what? Why not just get it down at speed and enjoy the fruits of your labor? You will be more proud of it that way. Personally, I would be ashamed of myself if I did that. I don't think I would be proud of it at all.

On point though, you aren't looking for reasons NOT to do it. You are trying to figure out how to do it. So, if you want to do one of the gayest things imaginable when it comes to recording, yeah, track a DI slowly, then use time compression to speed it up, then reamp it. I imagine that would work out with favorable results. Sans the fact that you are fucking gay for doing it.

And Genius, thank you sir :)

~006

Status
Not open for further replies.