Small guitar combo for lessons - any recommendations?

Felix Neumann

Sep 14, 2008
Germany
www.youtube.com
Hello Dudes :)

I have to be more flexible in the future, because I use more rooms. To make it short: I need a guitar combo for training and guitar lesson reasons. Have you the ultimate recommendation for me? It shouldn´t sound like a small radio.

Can you help me?

Been teaching for three years and used a shit load of different combos that come through the shop. Most of them suck but many don't. Whats your price range and I'll make a list.

Ah nice. I remember liking one of the 50 or 60 watt combos that H&K make (I can't remember which.) In that price range I really like the Peavey JSX Mini (it has a built in power attenuator! So cool!) and the Roland Cubes but that H&K looks kickass. One of the things that blows about amps in that range is that they tend to not have reverb because its not pricy enough to warrant a spring but its too pricy for the company to allow themselves to throw in a shoddy digital reverb.

Ahh, I wish you had waited Felix! I've never played that H&K, so it might be good, but IME the Roland Cube 20/20x/30/30x (depending on your budget) DESTROYS everything else in terms of fullness and crunchiness of distortion, built in FX (including Reverb ;)), and general awesomeness. I compared it to Peavey, Vox, Marshall, and Line 6 amps in that price range, and there was just no contest. Plus, the channels AND FX are footswitchable! (well, the 30 is, anyway, that's what I have)

I really like the Cubes as well. I don't like using effects of any kind, but the clean sound is clean in a way that helps practicing (nothing to really mask sloppiness) and there's more than enough distortion in the heavy amp models to bring out any extraneous noise - running a Dean ML with a Super Distortion into the Recto model, I literally heard my watch (on my fretting hand) clicking through the pickups. They sound good and they're very well-priced.

Jeff

Thank you very much, dudes :) I did not made a final decision so far, I just wanna try this H&K blue 15, because I heard really good reviews about it...hmmm wait & hear, I´m courios. Marcus I will also try your recommendation, the Roland Cube. I know, you are THE amp fanatic :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J3caoAvXE

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

This guy's my HERO.

HAhahahaahahah, that upper lip is killing me :lol: And Felix, thank you, I do love amps :D And to further talk up the Cube 30, it's the size and weight (20 lbs.) of a Marshall MG15, but I was able to get it loud enough to be heard over a live drummer in a big room at band practice! Admittedly, though, it was at max and begging for mercy :lol:

HAhahahaahahah, that upper lip is killing me :lol: And Felix, thank you, I do love amps :D And to further talk up the Cube 30, it's the size and weight (20 lbs.) of a Marshall MG15, but I was able to get it loud enough to be heard over a live drummer in a big room at band practice! Admittedly, though, it was at max and begging for mercy :lol:

Hahaha i´m sure, indeed!! :lol:

I used to have a Micro Cube (actually, it was my second Micro Cube, sold my first and regretted it so much that I got another), but I sold it a while ago and got a Vox DA5 instead. It's the same size, works with batteries etc. but sounds a lot better than the Micro Cube. The effects are very usable too, which can't be said of the Micro Cube's effects.