Small Haul (Not From the Mall)

Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
Unanimated Ancient God of Evil- A hyper-refined take on the Stockholm death sound, Unanimated utilize the structural and ideological foundations of epic death metal but emphasize the genre's tonal rather than rhythmic possibilities. Obviously influenced by the likes of Necrophobic and Afflicted, the songs contained within stretch flowing melodies over a narrative death metal framework while occasionally evoking DarkThrone and Burzum in rhythmic abstraction and suspension of motion (aided by tastefully subtle keyboard mysticism).
10/10

Golem Eternity: The Weeping Horizons- Part of a minor German tradition (including such luminaries as Torchure, Atrocity and Anasarca) of death metal with no immediately apparent influences. Vaguely "Swedish" sounding in its incorporation of melody yet vaguely "Floridian" in its emphasis on mechanically articulated riff architecture, obscure in origin and emotionally isolated like Fester. The end result is intrinsically disturbing death metal, a cold and unflinching epic, relentless and driven like a panzer division advancing across an icelocked wasteland.
10/10

jeebus I feel like masturbating.

good words. i'd like to see you write of music's structural development (or tonal or rhythmic or whatever) by citing a larger and more accurate history....y'know, so we can see you're not just bullshitting adjectives. :loco:

like, take a record we all know and love, by, uh, i dunno, cryptopsy or iron maiden or something, and describe a song by it's precise structuring and intentions and notes etc etc and explain what other bands have developed using the same techniques, or developed and further it.

it's easy to unleash the adjective attack on any single random band or album, but it's cool to see a constant between different quality acts so one can see the validation between bullshit and fact.

:wave:

Cryptopsy None So Vile- Forged from the worst elements of NYDM and unleashed without thought or mercy upon an unsuspecting world, None So Vile is one of those records counted among the classics by those who enjoy migraines. Hideously dissonant and jarringly atonal, mixed raw and rusty (but with brain piercing treble spikes to ensure the onset of Excedrin Headache No. 666). The usual assortment of blindingly fast, grating tremolo riffs and "technical" blast and fill drumming over amorphous structures replete with sudden (and pointless) tempo and riff changes just to remind you that these are skilled players. The expected generic vomitvox rears its head. Occasional reversions to a simple, midpaced power chord chug serve (I guess) as "payoff" for sitting through the blasting (but really, who needs to wait for such "payoff" so long as From Beyond is still available). Oh, and lots of slap bass. Assholes love slap bass.
3/10

hmm, well I appreciate your attempt at answering my queries but that wasn't exactly what I was looking for. You just gave me another review full of supposedly insightful facts, rendered in the lovely adjective-abundant writing style you're well known for....but I was looking for that spread over some kind of range of releases to show a development of what your terms refer to, and thereby validating what your terms actually mean....because without accurate validation of what your particular adjectives mean when referring to the music described, no-one really knows what you're talking about. But...admittedly, my previous request was vague and probably unfulfillable, so let me make the request (if you'd be so obliged) in a simpler and more direct manner.

Ok, you say of Unanimated's Ancient God of Evil; 'the songs contained within stretch flowing melodies over a narrative death metal framework '. Here's a good place to start; flowing melodies, that's cool, i can readily interpret that....but could you please describe what exactly a 'narrative death metal framework' is? People who appreciate music at the depth you seem to, spout that line all the time, but as far as i'm concerned, it could mean anything or be there just to look pretty....so if you could please help me-out in understanding you, i'd be much obliged, please make reference to examples on the said album (which i'll download) or any other piece of music you need if you decide to clarify your meaning.

Thanks in advance! :wave:

"narrative"- refers to songs structured in a linear fashion (in the manner of a narrative), rather than through the circular repetition of a series of riffs (verse chorus).

Thankyou for replying Dying Eulogy, that clears stuff up!!!

Ok, there's only one other phrase i'm not really clear on; 'emotionally isolated'.

In what way precisely does the music create this?

Planetary Eulogy said:
That's not surprising, given your history of bad taste... :D

I'd figure you'd respond with such slanderous, inane comments. Do you have ANY idea what I meant when I typed up my response?

Timmeth said:
I'd figure you'd respond with such slanderous, inane comments. Do you have ANY idea what I meant when I typed up my response?

Given your past promotion of pretentious crap like Marillion and Anathema, I wouldn't expect you to be excited by the prospect of top notch death metal. It's, shall we say, not your style.

Planetary Eulogy said:
Given your past promotion of pretentious crap like Marillion and Anathema, I wouldn't expect you to be excited by the prospect of top notch death metal. It's, shall we say, not your style.

Looks like someone avoided the question. Let me ask you again. Did you NOT understand what I meant when I typed up my original response?

You meant that you don't appreciate an intellectual reviewing style, my point was that you wouldn't be enticed to buy these albums by ANY reviewing style. Now run along and play with your Legos, Boy Wonder.

Planetary Eulogy said:
You meant that you don't appreciate an intellectual reviewing style, my point was that you wouldn't be enticed to buy these albums by ANY reviewing style. Now run along and play with your Legos, Boy Wonder.

Heh, giant egos spew the biggest lies. I appreciate and enjoy intellectual reviews, not lifeless ones. My opinion, your reviews were boring.

Timmeth said:
Heh, giant egos spew the biggest lies. I appreciate and enjoy intellectual reviews, not lifeless ones. My opinion, your reviews were boring.

Let me guess, your idea of an "intellectual" review conjures up images of John Chedsey or the Star Trek geeks who run MusiqeMachine... Stop being such a dweeb, it's not my fault that I've embarassed in debate on numerous occasions, child.