Smoke & Mirrors

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
For those that are wondering about Lynch Mob's Smoke & Mirrors the albums is pretty damn good. It's a cross between the debut and Robert Manson record. It's a solid rock album, it starts off kinda average but it is one that will grow on you with each spin.

I mentioned this album in the Ace thread I think, but over the last 3 weeks since I've had it, this album has risen to Album of the Year status for me. I simply cannot get enough of it. It has all the elements of the first 2 LM albums, but does not come off sounding "dated" (at least to me) at all. The choruses are infectious. The guitar playing is out of this world. TOTALLY something you appreciate more with each listen. The tracks Time Keepers, The Phacist, Where Do You Sleep at Night, and Let the Music Be Your Master are unreal, but truthfully I feel there is only really 1 or maybe 2 "fillers" here, but I even like those songs....

I mentioned this album in the Ace thread I think, over the last 3 weeks since I've had it, this album has risen to Album of the Year status for me. The tracks Time Keepers, The Phacist, Where Do You Sleep at Night, and Let the Music Be Your Master are unreal, but truthfully I feel there is only really 1 or maybe 2 "fillers" here, but I even like those songs....

I wouldn't put it that high on my list but it really is a no frills, straight forward rock album. This is much better than George's Souls Of We record...

Well, I finally got around to hearing it and I have mixed feelings about it. The Good: Oni is wonderful on it. I had forgotten how good this guy was and his bluesy style fits the material perfectly. George is a legend but he doesn't really blow me away until given the chance in "Let the music be your master", he totally ignites on that solo!! The Bad: As I much as I listened to it over and over again, there is a lot of material that could be considered filler here as the songs are really hard to get into. Lucky Man, Revolution Begins, Time Keepers, Madly Backwards, Mansions in the Sky simply do nothing for me (and believe me... I tried!):erk:

Bottom Line: I really think that anyone that goes into the album thinking about WS is in for a shocker since all the sleaze is gone and we have a more contemporary record here. Unfortunately, it seriously lacks in the hooks department. For me, Oni saves the record on many occassions, he just breathes life into the material. Definitely better than Soul Of We but for me it's just a decent record, that's all :cry: