snare mic bleed....gating problem

madbutcher

May 23, 2005
St Louis
www.harkonin.com
So I'm checking out my albums songs, and I have way too much bleed through in my snare mic (mainly hi hat..some kick, but a low cut pretty much takes care of that). When I try gating, the cymbals pop in and out with the gate opening, so I tried an expander (waves) and it almost works, but it then pushes down most of my drummers ghost notes and rolls.....
I have tried messing with the expansion levels for hours and can't get it set to work right......anyone have any ideas? or maybe want me to load up the snare tracks, and anyone here can try to gate/expand or whatever them so I have a snare track that the snare is decently louder than the bleed through......:)

what I do in these cases is just open the gate for a very short moment, so that only the very loud part and only the snare passes by....after that you just make it less dry with some reverb and you can add some sample (not more than 40% I'd suggest otherwise you'll loose the feeling...)

I-Quality said:
what I do in these cases is just open the gate for a very short moment, so that only the very loud part and only the snare passes by....after that you just make it less dry with some reverb and you can add some sample (not more than 40% I'd suggest otherwise you'll loose the feeling...)

yeah, but that doesnt help with the ghost notes and flams.

I don't know if it will work best for your situation, but you could try automation, keeping the expander on for most of the time and turning it off when ghost notes appear.

cobhc said:
yeah, but that doesnt help with the ghost notes and flams.

for the ghost notes you're lost if he uses hh at the same time, but you can put just these on a separate track

for the flams he should not be using the hh at the same time...

use 2 tracks one with the flams and ghosts and one with snare hitting hard, and if you're too lazy shoot da booze

if you can't do anything then rerecord it (even if I know this is obviously not a possibility here..) and be careful next time! people just think everything falls from heaven and experience is for chicken

Man, that hi-hat bleed is a bitch! I've figured out, you have to tame that shit before pressing record. As far as the kick goes, I learned from this forum, putting a blanket over the kick works real good. The drummer thinks it's pretty lame, fuck what he thinks!

I-Quality said:
if you can't do anything then rerecord it (even if I know this is obviously not a possibility here..) and be careful next time! people just think everything falls from heaven and experience is for chicken

Absolutly right!
It all starts with recording!
Drummers who just start to play compare themshelves often with the great ones! Keep it simple and a small kit!!
We got to clean up the mess by spending hours(days) of replacement and repairs!:cry:
If a drummer is not capable, program it or just play a stady beat.

I-Quality said:
for the ghost notes you're lost if he uses hh at the same time, but you can put just these on a separate track

for the flams he should not be using the hh at the same time...

use 2 tracks one with the flams and ghosts and one with snare hitting hard, and if you're too lazy shoot da booze

Good idea...never thought of that. I'll give it a shot, there are a couple parts in which the ghosts go with a hat but I'll see what I can do.

Yea I know I should have seen/heard this during recording......I've learned a TON from this one recording. Re-recording is not an option for me.

I did find that using a high cut around 9 and 10k combined with a C4 taming down 7-9k gets rid of a lot of cymbal bleed....so that may help some too. It kills some of the snares sound...but worth getting rid of the hat.

thanks.

Black neon bob said:
Check this one out:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235818

Might help a bit...

Good luck!

Thanks, I did a search before posting and didn't see that thread. Looks like you had the same problem......so what solution did you finally end up going with?

I'm going to attempt to do the sidechain thing tonight with an edited snare (seems like that will take forever though....) track.....It's kind fo confusing just readin through it (never used a "siddechain" before).....so Ill have to get my pro tools comp open while reading that thread......

I think the best way to solve the problem is to individually edit each hit, it takes ages but is worth it in the end. By using a logarithmic cross fade (the curved one that looks like half of the letter C not the straight one \ ) at the end of each snare edit you are able to "fade out" the HH bleed instead of cutting it off. And you can use the ones you edit well to replace the hits that are really bad.

Gates = :puke: imo :)

Keith! said:
I think the best way to solve the problem is to individually edit each hit, it takes ages but is worth it in the end. By using a logarithmic cross fade (the curved one that looks like half of the letter C not the straight one \ ) at the end of each snare edit you are able to "fade out" the HH bleed instead of cutting it off. And you can use the ones you edit well to replace the hits that are really bad.

Gates = :puke: imo :)

long process but i think keith is write about editing the hits dude.

I agree.....that's what it has come to for me..... Took me about 3 hours to do a four minute song.....it's what I want now though. Now only 8 songs * about 45 minutes worth* left to edit.....

Yeah...

If it were up to me Gnash, i would go the "machine" way... eleminate all bleed from the copper by taking them away in the first drum recording session.. just kick, toms and snare.. maybe some stand in cymbals you can barely hear for the drummer...

And then record the cymbals.. no bleed at all! way better...

Or at least block the hihat a bit with foam, a good mic and placement... and like you said, a blanket on the kickdrum(s)...