Snare preverb?!

Ganks

Nov 1, 2009
Hey guys,

I have an interesting question.

How do you get that snare "preverb" effect?
It's a very cool production technique, and I'd love to know how to do it.

It's the whoosh sound right before a massive snare hit. Like a sort of reverb buildup, but before the hit!
Haha.

I hope I'm making sense. :)

Any info on how to accomplish this technique?

Take a regular snare hit and add a shit-ton of reverb. Then render it, reverse it and place it wherever you like :kickass:

Sorry I cant help you out with a link or an answer, but I know this has been discussed before in this section! you tried searching like snare buildup or something?

I know exactly what your talking about though haha!

maybe someone else will chime in

Sorry I cant help you out with a link or an answer, but I know this has been discussed before in this section! you tried searching like snare buildup or something?

I know exactly what your talking about though haha!

maybe someone else will chime in

Haha.
It's cool man.

I searched for "preverb", and I'm the only person on the forum (at least in Production Tips) that has used that word! :D

I thought it was a pretty cool word, too! :p

get a snare hit, reverse it, add reverb, reverse the snare with reverb (print), move the snare so the transient is at orginal place. Can do it for everything vocals, guitars etc

another idea is record a clean guitar with a delay pedal with the repeats turned all the way up then reverse that. I've also hear of a song where the guitarist played a chord, and several people stood around and de-tuned all the strings, then they reversed that, so a pile of mushy, out of tune, notes turns into a perfectly tuned chord. cymbal hits reversed and butted back to back with a normal one for cymbal swells.... the options are endless with reverse effects, and not all of them have to be done with reverb. the list goes on and on....

Figured it out and used it in my new mix!
I'm about to post it in the rate my mix section, so check it out! :D

Thanks guys!

Kind of on the same topic, but what about entire mix build-ups? i.e. Killswitch Engage on As Daylight Dies the very beginning. Kind of like a belt-driven turn table where it slowly gets up to the speed of the song.

I know this technique for many years, but last week was the first time I actually used it.. song with bass intro and at once the guitars. The build-up effect really makes it much more interesting and exciting to listen to!!

Kind of on the same topic, but what about entire mix build-ups? i.e. Killswitch Engage on As Daylight Dies the very beginning. Kind of like a belt-driven turn table where it slowly gets up to the speed of the song.

thats digidesign vari-fi

you can use tape-stop vst for some build up or down effects. Automating it or printing the result at the beginning of the whole song in the premastering process :)

There is also a cool vocal effect that can be done using the same method but with delay instead of reverb. The words build up into the beginning of a verse or chorus. "The Pot" by Tool has this effect.