so are even cds, something that cost $0.05, subject to the cheapening of commodities?

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
i don't abuse my cds. i listen to them, then put them away in a jewel or other kind of case, like i always have. but it seems like a lot of my newer ones get massive pock marks in them rendering certain parts unplayable.

yet i have 15 year old cds that look like an entire NHL team tried to autograph the playing side, that play just fine!

WTF.

I saw a documentary once on the production of CDs, years ago, and it involved people in contanimation suits and sterile environments running these machines.

I have a feeling that when this process was moved to India, the care put into this production was not the same.

But what I do know about is when it comes to the production of CD-R's, DVD-R's, etc, and YES these are definitely subject to the cheapening of commodities, such as in the dyes, for example.

We got to do a wonderful chapter last year on the process of making CDs. Old CDs were produced slower due to the limitations of machines, allowing the CD (liquified layers melded together) to cool slower and thereby being more solid. plus new CDs are made from shittier, cheaper materials. And we put more data on the CDs, and so the smaller damages make more difference. But yeah, I have a few "hockey teamed" CDs that don't work and one with a tiny nick thats fucked.

I've never had CDs rendered useless due to minor damages, but the second part I've had experience with, I've ocassionally been able to get used CDs severely marked down on account of being scratched to hell, and then played with virtually no skipping. I did make backup copies just in case.

i mostly listen to music on the computer/ipod so my cds pretty much just get played in the car or at friends' houses and thus aren't exposed to much abuse. every consumer product is becoming more disposable the more time passes.

I make copies of all CDs I own before I need to use them. If I need a CD, i grab the burned copy and keep the original in its jewel case for the most part.