So, do Laser's Edge and Avantgarde count as small labels?

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
Hmm. Got promos from both labels in the past couple days. Not sure if they would fit into the next issue.

Avantgarde (bands in question: Forgotten Tomb, Dark Sanctuary) has a history, and some real popular bands in the past (Katatonia...) but now? Hmmm.

Laser's Edge... (bands in question: Zero Hour, Twisted Into Form) comes across as pro but I have no idea how big they really are. The everpresent ProgPower sponsorship and presence probably influences my view there. No clue.

So you, forumers, tell me, should they be fair game for this issue or not?

Laser's Edge is medium, in my opinion. But they are also in a niche market; a strong majority of their bands fall into the technical metal category. I've never heard of Avantgarde so can't say.

You should have them in the issue because this is the first Zero Hour album I can stand. And Twisted Into Form is probably every Spiral Architect fan's methadone...you won't get any closer than this...

But listen carefully and repeatedly - for me, these two were not really that good after the first couple of spins.

As for Avantgarde, I think most people (including me) have almost forgotten the label is still alive. Whether the bands are worthy is another case - Forgotten Tomb is that suicidal black metal band that has already opened for Absurd and calls "E-gay" a "fucking Jewish business"...cute, isn't it?

I would say by LotFP standards neither of those labels is small, although I also was wondering recently whether Avantgarde still exists.

Also, Dark Sanctuary is not metal, unless I've got the name mixed up.

Also, Dark Sanctuary is not metal, unless I've got the name mixed up.

Didn't know that until I listened to it. Wasn't paying so much attention when I first put it on, and I thought I was listening to the longest boring introduction ever to an album until my wife asked what this shit was and I realized I was on song four. Hooray for close listening. I suppose I'll save it and give it another listen when the writing for this issue is done just to see if I can like it for what it actually is.

I guess it depends on what criteria we are using to define a label as small.

I kind of lean towards it having to with concrete things like print runs, amount of advertising and the placement of the ads, size of the operation, the reach of distribution networks, the depth of the marketing warchest and similar matters over perception.

A label could be small employing these yardsticks and still make a big splash in the metal consciousness by being relatively well-known or a common name due to a high-profile band or two being on it. But I think that the obscurity factor does need to be taken into account as well, so it may not be as clear cut as it seems at times and can require some weighing of attributes.