So I recorded vocals on my Arch Enemy song

Yeah, I was thinking the vocals were a bit to loud, but you know you always get kinda biased when you mix the stuff and know every syllable.

And yeah that's me (a guy!) doing the vox haha

And the trick behind getting Angela vox seems to be layering. Like in the chorus, there is one track of high growls and another one growling slightly lower behind and I thinks it really gets an AE feel!

Sorry for any confusion, DRUNK ATM

There's one chord progression that's exactly the same as Aces High by Maiden, the very first one.

Vocals sound great, but I'm not a fan of the mix. The cymbals are too washy, really not liking the snare or the kick... the drums alltogether are not working for me. There also seems to be some pumping going on but my speakers aren't good enough to tell really. Guitars sound good tho.

A bit overcompressed for my taste, but other then that, good job!

Thanks alot again, really appreciate the feedback!

Morgoe: That's not just Aces high, it's every other maiden song aswell! And that was on purpose, I just wanted it to start off with an uber-melodic, super catchy main riff. As for the drums, it's really just trying to work with I got. So I agree about the cymbals, and that the drums are really compressed but I can say it was way worse before I started mixing! But yeah I'm gonna work on it, and try to get right the next time around!

Now that I think about it, the vocals sound really "dry" to me, and even though I like it, it kinda sounds too dry. But I don't really know how to fix it, anyone got any tips? I'm messing around with the reverb, but any more just makes it sound "roomy" and not exactly more wet.

I updated it too with slightly lower vocals, but who cares.

i've actually noticed in a lot of modern mixes, the new trend is for the vocals to be extremely dry. i think very little reverb helps each syllable become a little more pronounced if the vocals are more rhythmic than melodic.

i think the new bix sounds better with the vocals lower. btw: is it just because it's an mp3 that is sounds really washy and weird? sounds like a mypace quality mp3 :(

Holy shit, my cock just exploded.

You might want to get that checked.

Some verb on the vocals wouldn't hurt, but remember less is more. You don't need tons, just the right amount with a small decay.

Oh just thought of something! You said you were doing the two kinds of screams on the chorus.....try panning them left and right (hi scream right, medium scream left) Lemme know how it works!

you're a great lead player. like your vox better than hers btw.

-J-: Wow, thanks alot man! I really appreciate that. :)

spioraid: At the moment there is just some slight reverb, cause any more and it just sounded "spacey" you know? Maybe I'll experiment with a tiny bit of delay or something to juice it up. As for the panning thing, I tried it, and it did sound pretty cool! However, I felt it kinda made the stereo field sound a bit out of balance, and I really liked it when they were both in the middle. Like a thick mass of growls :lol: