So I saw Inland Empire last night

GarethSE

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2008
got drunk and stoned and watched in a dark room with some friends

pretty much the best thing ive EVER seen.
i kept having near-out of body experiences, completely losing feeling in my arms or my legs, and then my heart was pounding in my chest like a fucking jackhammer for the length of the entire film

it doesn't really make any sense
there isn't much of a conventional narrative there, there's a few plot points that are pretty obvious but eventually it all just goes completely to shit and spends an hour making you feel like someones twisting your fucking insides.
seriously
the sheer sense of dread the film instilled in me is mindblowing. no film has scared me as much as inland empire. NOTHING. It's very japanese in the way it approaches the scares. There's no INTENTIONAL scares, there just happens to be this huge sense of dread looming over and around absolutely everything, and why you feel terrified is all down the person.
personally a lot of the imagery (animal heads on human bodies, ughhh) shit me up pretty badly, the soundtrack being composed of nothing but sub-bass rumbling at times fucked me up pretty bad aswell. you could FEEL it.

walking home was horrible. was totally scared shitless of turning corners and all that shit. the films still affecting me today, i cant get it out of my head. as far the experience of seeing a movie goes, it's probably the purest film ever made.
Lights, Sounds, Images combining to manipulate your emotions, and even more, your physicality. The film doesn't NEED to make any sense to be good because the whole thing is just such pure cinema. moving pictures with accompanying sound.
utter perfection.

i highly recommend it to anyone on the forum with an open mind