So I think i'm improving.....

lanky noob

Jan 13, 2012
The shire, UK
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71178437/log style mix practice.mp3

could I get some advice on this please? Specifically with making the guitars more defined and how I could get the drums to "slam" a bit more, along with any other general criticisms/help you may have :)

also ignore the vocal editing, haven't gotten around to it yet, just wanted to see how I could improve on the basic mix so far

And i'm not sure who posted this track, but it's mix practice that someone put up on here a while ago now, so if you stumble on this thread, thanks!

cheers for you comments :)

I was attempting to go for a chris adler kind of snare sound with it, because the original snare track was already relatively close to his sort of sound, but lsitening back with fresh ears I definitely see what you mean

could anybody give me any pointers on how to get rid of the excessive snare ring? i've tried sweeping across the parametric and I can't seem to get rid of it without it resulting in the snare sounding like it's underwater :(

snare def has that log feel to it. guitars are too fizzy too quiet and got too many low mids going on. vocals are overpowering.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71178437/log mix practice 3.mp3

here's an updated mix, snare sorted, things generally a bit better, however i'd massively appreciate some help with the guitars, i've gone through all the guitar threads i could find using the search, and no matter what i can't seem to find a point where there's no/not much mud without losing all of the body from the guitars and leaving them sounding weak with no balls, is there anything I could do or is it just the raw tone that's doing it?

i liked the first mix better for clarity actually, you just needed to saturate it a bit, make everything take on more space and open up the vocals.

Gate the snare. Bring up the kick like 4-6 dB and cut less of the low mids on the guitars if you're doing that. Try to de-mud the bass instead of the guitars. Cut around 1k6 on the vocals, maybe 3-5 db. Are the vocals a 58 by any chance?

Gate the snare. Bring up the kick like 4-6 dB and cut less of the low mids on the guitars if you're doing that. Try to de-mud the bass instead of the guitars. Cut around 1k6 on the vocals, maybe 3-5 db. Are the vocals a 58 by any chance?

Again i'm unsure for the same reason that I have no idea what the guitars are :(