So if tubescreamers are just for EQ...

hsnyder

Harris Snyder
Dec 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
... Then why do they have a clipping circuit? Has anybody experimented with tube screamers which have had their clipping diodes removed? I believe that the tone shaping effect would be the same, but there would be no coloration/compression from the clipping of the pedal. This might have effects like making the volume knob work better on the guitar, and so on... Just speculating here.

I may try this if theres no feedback - i'm pretty handy with a soldering iron.

That's essentially the same as putting one of the newer hi-fi diodes in it, like an OPA2134. You end up with a less compressed note with the same honky sound. Works for some amps, the JRC4558 sounds better with others.

To my ears and EL34 based JCM sounded better with the OPA and the KT88 sounded better with the JRC.

Socket it and try for yourself.

They're not just for EQ. They're icky without diodes, but you can get all of the good parts of tinkering with diode-free TS experiments by just putting big LEDs where the old diodes used to be (don't forget to put them in the right way!), and the OPA2134 is definitely not a diode (!). The clipping level is very amp-dependent - some want more or less clipping going in, as would be expected depending on how they take cleaner or messier signals - but I'd definitely try putting in a switch for different diode pairs and putting an op-amp socket in to try more op-amps in easily. As it takes a bit of volume knob drop-off to make much difference that the gain knob wouldn't make on its own (due to the way that modern amps are built - as opposed to decades ago when your only real hope for heavy distortion was a hot pickup), expect to see much more difference... especially since any modern TS-type pedal will have at least an output volume knob that does little but change how much sound is coming out of its tail end.

By all means, swap one out for an EQ that looks like a frowney-face centered around 700-800Hz... then follow it with a compressor... then put a simple clipper before and after various bits. There's a teensy bit more going on.

Jef

the OPA makes the ts less honky. It works great for using the ts as an OD but not so great as a booster