So, illegal downloads don't hurt anyone, eh? (Update from Mattias)

Largely due to the fact that illegal downloads have greatly reduced artists' demands for his services, our graphic artist, Mattias Noren, is forced to shut down his business. This is a truly sad day for music and art when a creative genious such as Mattias can no longer afford to continue with his craft. Having a family to support, Mattias must now get a steady paying job that would no longer allow him the time to create such amazing works of art as he did with Avian's CDS, From The Depths of Time, and Ashes And Madness.

I myself am guilty of downloading illegally on occasion so it would be hypocritical of me to attack those of you that do it. However, I ALWAYS purchase the cd's that I enjoy and listen to on a regular basis. When I download something and I don't like it, of course I wouldn't buy it, but if I do enjoy listening to it, I purchase it. I think that if most people would do that, it would help the struggling artists continue to bring wonderful music and art into our world.

Otherwise, before long, the only "artists" out there would be the corporate machine made drones that just recycle the same old crap over and over again thus throwing us into a decaying age of art.

Here's the full article:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=85347

I couldn't agree more, and I'm sorry to hear about your artist. That sux.

People call me a dork for both the fact that I download legally and for my reasons for doing it (what you said, and also environmental concerns) but it's stories like this that make me sad. When I buy physical albums, it's mostly because I know I enjoy the tunage, but want the experience of holding that awesome cover art and presentation in my hands.

Sux. Sorry, man.

\m/ Hammer

Mattias's artwork is great too, it sucks to see that happening to good people. Although you can go to www.progart.com (which is Mattias's website) and get copies of the artwork from From the Depths of Time. Also a good alternative to illegal downloading is using a website like www.pandora.com, which allows you to make a "radio station" based on the music you like, and only the music you like.

This is my first visit to the Avian forum, hence I have never seen this thread.

@ Yan.

I totally agree with you and its unfortunate that this happened to Mattias.

But, exposure to bands such as yours, in my country [India] is pretty much nothing. Hence to discover your music I had to download your stuff. We don't even get Motorhead CDs in stores. I do what you do too, buy the CDs of my downloaded favourites, but its seriously expensive to get stuff shipped across continents and the fear of it being confiscated by the customs also prevails. I know that it doesn't help in any physical way but you may get the satisfaction and pleasure in knowing that your music has earned you fans from half-way across the globe, in India.

This is my first visit to the Avian forum, hence I have never seen this thread.

@ Yan.

I totally agree with you and its unfortunate that this happened to Mattias.

But, exposure to bands such as yours, in my country [India] is pretty much nothing. Hence to discover your music I had to download your stuff. We don't even get Motorhead CDs in stores. I do what you do too, buy the CDs of my downloaded favourites, but its seriously expensive to get stuff shipped across continents and the fear of it being confiscated by the customs also prevails. I know that it doesn't help in any physical way but you may get the satisfaction and pleasure in knowing that your music has earned you fans from half-way across the globe, in India.

Welcome to our forum and thanks for stopping by: You present a very valid point and I think that there is (or should be) an exception to people in your part of the world and others that are in geographical areas where it is not convenient to purchase music on a regular basis.

I don't believe that is the main problem; the problem is that fans in Europe and the US and Canada, usually can obtain the music rather easily and for a reasonable price but they choose not to for various reasons. For the big bands, it basically just means that they can't get their 5th Porsche or a summer villa in Italy ;-). For the smaller bands like us that are completely independent, this is a major death blow because we simply cannot afford to produce the music. We don't have big label support (or any other) so we have to come up with the money ourselves. I personally have lost tens of thousands of dollars in this band and I seriously doubt I will ever make even a dollar profit when all is said and done. However, I didn't get into this business for the money or fame; I did it for the pure love of it.

That is a shame! I am also guilty of the same thing! I always purchased the CD's I liked as well! I love having the computer for info and the like, but it has been a detriment to working bands! I have heard that in the next ten years, all music will be digital or download. This is sad, because I want the whole package, ie, jewel case, cover art, lyrics & credits. The thought that one day it will all be so impersonal is sad!

I have heard that in the next ten years, all music will be digital or download. This is sad, because I want the whole package, ie, jewel case, cover art, lyrics & credits. The thought that one day it will all be so impersonal is sad!

There are a few bands now that have gone back to releasing vinyl but the next ten years will be interesting.

Record companies were slow to welcome downloading, some of the smaller ones have already collapsed and now bands don't even need to go into a recording studio to make a song and they can put it on their websites for download.

We did a gig with three other Aus. Metal bands and we all had our newly released CD's for sale at the gig. The next day some 'fan' had posted up on some torrent site all three bands CD's with all the songs free to download.

Personally I think that free downloads should only be a percentage of the song, if you want the whole song then pay for it.

s

The days of us releasing a cd with phenomenal artwork and a 16 page booklet are over; IF we release physical cd's from now on, they will have a nice cover but not much of a booklet, strictly because it costs way too much and we never get that money back.

We are leaning toward releasing our next cd exclusively as a digital download; that would save us a great deal of money that we could use toward production costs.

The days of us releasing a cd with phenomenal artwork and a 16 page booklet are over; IF we release physical cd's from now on, they will have a nice cover but not much of a booklet, strictly because it costs way too much and we never get that money back.

We are leaning toward releasing our next cd exclusively as a digital download; that would save us a great deal of money that we could use toward production costs.

I can understand this type of thinking, but why not print 300 or so physical discs with just a basic cover? I am sure some of the bands fans will purchase a disc. I cannot stand digital and if a band is going to release something just in digital, chances are I will never hear the album.
Since digital is killing the disc, I would assume disc manufacturers have lowered their bulk amounts and rates. Yes?

But yeah, the days of the 16-page booklets are over.

We'll definitely do our best to release our next album in a physical format with artwork our fans come to expect of us; hopefully we'll be able to make it happen.

Here's an update from Mattias:

Hi there!
Just a message to inform you that I'm back at the drawing table again after 2 years away. During these two years I haven't done much more than 2-3 covers so I'm really looking forward to be creative again. So..I'm taking new projects again. Please spread the word! :)

I have been working with bands like Sabaton, Kamelot, Evergrey, Ayreon, Epica, Stratovarius, Into Eternity etc.

Cheers!

/Mattias Norén

http://www.progart.com
http://www.myspace.com/mattiasnoren