so i'm always really down on live music

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
because studio stuff is soooo much better, and while i love going to live shows, listening to recorded live music is...not as good as listening to studio tracks, frankly.

but i have a friend who's a huge liveshow guy and has banks of CDs of shows and is like "dude let's listen to PEARL JAM JULY 14th 1999 AT THE RENO AMPHITHEATRE" all the time. he knows how i feel about live shit and he said that what i should do is get a copy of a show i've actually been to, because it's a whole different experience. okay.

so last night i burned CDs of last week's Radiohead show and i'm listening to it right now. nice, cool, but not really that big a deal. my live-music theory was proven as the guitar hit some discordant, improper, and weak-sounding notes at one of the strongest parts of "Airbag".

i guess i'm just not a live-music-on-tape kind of guy.

most bands just don't come across that well on a live recording cept for a few. I have no idea why anyone would listen to a Radiohead boot since they are so much more of a studio band in my mind. It's the bands that actually change things up live and make it different that are worth hearing.

well, truth be told, the thing that impressed me most about radiohead live was how well they translated their studio show to the stage. it was REALLY well brought over.

nevertheless, i mean...the difference between studio and live bands is like the difference between MUSICIANS and PERFORMERS.

One live CD I really enjoy listening to is the Syzygys album. The reason is that they're playing microtonal pop music, using the Partch 43-tone to the octave organ. They go into microtones occasionally but usually stay pretty diatonic.

The reason I like the live CD so much is that their vocal harmonies... see, I can't tell if they're *supposed* to sound microtonal or if they're just off key.

On the studio CD the vocal parts aren't dissonant like on the live CD, but I think I like the live, dissonant vocals better.

i hate phish actually, but my old roommate in college was obsessed with moe.

did ANYONE read that article i posted? CHRIST!

say-no-icon.gif

two.gif

moe.jpg

i did; i'd heard about it yesterday, but even google news had nothing. today it's exploded though!

i'm not a phish fan nor the parent of a child so that article just makes me gleeful.