So... in a university interview I mentioned Kayo Dot...

AndICried

Pretentious asshole
... to my interviewer. The "sample lecture" given earlier in the day was on the the destruction form in (some) 20th century music, and included an extract from John Oswald's Plexure, as well as a quote from Zorn. The interview was quite relaxed, so asking if he was familiar with you guys seemed pretty natural.

He wasn't familiar with KD, so I explained their connection w/ tzadik, and how they were an important group in shifting my interest (in large) from pretty standard rock to a lot of other stuff. I was ridiculously lucky to be interviewed by this guy (it turned out that we both play tabla, are interested in historically informed performance and modality) - hopefully I've got the place.

AndICried said:
... to my interviewer. The "sample lecture" given earlier in the day was on the the destruction form in (some) 20th century music, and included an extract from John Oswald's Plexure, as well as a quote from Zorn. The interview was quite relaxed, so asking if he was familiar with you guys seemed pretty natural.

Your degree sounds completely bpointless.