So...Mangini

Rev. Clayton

The Singer
Sep 4, 2006
www.suspyre.com
Honestly,

I think we got the best drummer with our additions, so it was like watching beuaty contestants battle over who got to be runner up. However, Mangini is now in DT.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Honestly,

I think we got the best drummer with our additions, so it was like watching beuaty contestants battle over who got to be runner up. However, Mangini is now in DT.

What's everyone's thoughts?

I watched part of the documentary (so silly of them to do this, but I love behind-the-scenes stuff) but Mangini looks like he nailed everything. I've always been a fan of the drummers for Steve Vai's band, and Mangini is no exception. I don't know how this will affect their sound, but I've heard numerous times that Portnoy was the true creative force behind Dream Theater. Mangini may add an additional element of "classiness" to their music. We will see.

Fun facts: Rob Cross, a drummer that played a couple of gigs with us (and sung the bass voice on Lighted Endrhyme) was a student of Mangini's at Berklee. Marco Minnemann, who also auditioned for Dream Theater, was going to be the drummer on "When Time Fades..." but there were too many scheduling conflicts.

interesting facts, Gregg. Love that kind of stuff.

Mangini will definitely fill in well for MP from a strictly drumming standpoint. But since MP along with Petrucci were the main people behind the music and direction of the band it will certainly be interesting to see what kind of direction they go in now. And I am curious to see how much, if any, influence Mangini will have on any new music in the near future.

Either way, I am hoping Myung contributes more overall.

I don't doubt that all of those drummers are incredible drummers in their own right, but a few stood out to me. Mangini seemed a bit over the top to me and it was almost kind of obvious how they favoured him. But for me personally Peter Wildoer was one of the favourites from the start. I love what he did on James Labrie's latest solo album, Static Impulse. I think his style of drumming added to the aggressive sound that they had on that album, one of the selling points imo.

That said i'm pretty sure any of them would've been able to play all the stuff, but they wanted a certain feel with a drummer. Who are we to decide who they have the best feel with, right?

I am, like you guys, very interested which direction Dream Theater's sound is going to take from here.

I think I would have liked to see Aquiles Priester (or however it's spelled) get the job. I think he could play all Portnoy's parts with ease, plus given the band a little something different....kind of like Martin Lopez gave Opeth.

Totally digging the new album (except for Far from Heaven - that should have been cut, IMHO). Very smooth and cohesive. They don't sound like a progressive metal band trying to be too metal. They sound like a progressive metal band trying to be a progressive metal band. In other words, they don't sound like they are out of their element.

Production isn't great, though. I would like to hear more of Mangini.

Yeah, this one's funny. I have had it on during my commute several times...including this morning. My real thoughts on it are that I can't remember anything specific about the album that has stuck out as amazing. Mangini sounds good from what I've heard and other than that I guess the only thing I have noticed is that there is a great lack of Portnoy grunts (obviously) that have been way too cluttered in the last couple of releases. DT hasn't grabbed me since Metropolis II and this is just another DT album for me. However, they do seem to be trying to get back on track...it just feels like everything is really forced in that camp now. I dunno...

Still love what DT has done overall, but I don't know if I'll ever see them like I used to. Doesn't mean they suck...just means my tastes have changed.

I tend to agree with you, Clay, in that I have a hard time remembering specifics. There don't seem to be as many "HOLY CRAP, DID I JUST HEAR WHAT I THINK I HEARD!!!!" moments, but I think overall it's A LOT more consistent. On previous albums there are both good and bad songs, somewhat evenly split. With this one there is only 1 bad song.

I thought all the songs were consistently great and what I've been hoping to get from DT for a few albums now - something a little bit more like Images & Words and not trying to be all modern nu metal, EXCEPT for 'Bridges in the Sky.' I found the beginning of that song to be really obnoxious!

I need to listen to it more...but my main point is that I'm enjoying it. It's a much better step forward than where they were heading. I think they made a good decision moving on without the drama queen that is MP. He's a great drummer...but I think he started believing that he was the only drummer on the face of the planet.

facebook_like_button_big.jpg

Dream Theater live was SO GOOD with Mangini! Saw them last night in Morristown, NJ. It is as if that drama/tension is gone, and they were up there having the time of their lives and just gelled so well! Really put on a helluva performance last night, and Mangini's drum solo BLEW MY MIND! It was totally worth the price of the ticket!