So what's your verdict on HIGH ON FIRE?

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
I never really gave this band a fair shot until recently.
I sampled the track DEVILUTION, and was blown away!

Great fast stoner rock with hints of Motorhead and other speed metal.

Would this describe most of their other material as well?

High on Fire OWNS. Ever since I saw them live in 2005, I was impressed by their wall of sound. Matt Pike is one of my favorite guitar players. They have a new album coming out later this year.

Haha never saw you leave to ND boards before :lol:

They're a fuckin' good band - probably the only stoner metal band that isn't based in doom. That description fits their material pretty decently yeah.

They crush everything and their music is incredibly far from being "stoner rock". Seriously, stop describing almost everything that is "Iommi inspired" with the word "stoner". HOF are 100% destructive heavy metal.

great band. but I think 'Surrounded By Thieves' is better than 'Blessed Black Wings'

I'm not much interested in "ratings". I do know that High on Fire and Mastodon get ten times the number of plays by me as High on Fire. Maybe I'm "supposed" to like them as much, but I don't.

I'm not much interested in "ratings". I do know that High on Fire and Mastodon get ten times the number of plays by me as High on Fire. Maybe I'm "supposed" to like them as much, but I don't.

I'm the opposite, I've never been bugged to check out Hidden Hand (although Wino's old band Saint Vitus kicks a lot of ass), and Mastodon just seem like a more 'normalized' version of Today Is The Day (which is NOT good, as that is one of TITD's defining characteristics, being demented and off-kilter).

Does anybody else see the content error in this sentence?

I've never heard them, but I've wanted to for a while, especially since their name keeps popping up everywhere.

I meant to say: I do know that Hidden Hand and Mastodon get ten times the number of plays by me as High on Fire.

But I'm sure Yogi Berra understood me the first time around.:loco:

I have to be in the mood for High on Fire, but they're definitely a quality band that tours their asses off. I've seen 'em sveral times; in fact, the first time I saw Mastodon, they were opening for HOF (Mastodon blew them away, of course).

Check out Sleep, Matt Pike's previous band. TOTAL stoner doom.