SOAD - Toxicity

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
I just listened to Toxicity after a very long break (like about 7 years), and noticed that album pretty much kicks ass and it's one of Rick Rubins best metal works in my books. Does anyone have any production info on the album? I tried to google it, but since it's so "old" album internet-wise, I only got some random info on wikipedia.

What I gathered was that the songs are in drop C and that Malakian used Ibanez Icemen a lot, but when listening you can clearly hear guitar character changes on the guitars like going from humbuckers to single coils, but it also might be just drastically different amp settings. The album has that super-dry trademark Rubin sound going on it, and at least the drums sounds pretty consistently the same through out the whole album.

The first thing I noticed right away was that the rhythm guitar tone is scooped really thin (in a good way) and it's REALLY dark. It makes the palm muted rhythm guitars have this really cool distortion characteristics that I really like, like it has no annoying fizz at all. Another cool thing is that it doesn't take much spectral space, and thus gives the vocals and everything above 7khz a lot of room, so you can have stuff like acoustic guitars, synths, strings and stuff that they have there.

On Chop Suey the open tremolo picked single notes near 0:40 sound like it's a blend of Mesa and something else.

I also noticed that they varied the bass tone a lot. On Deer Dance at 1:35 there is a really good bass guitar reference tone, sound like it's slightly saturated but generally clean tone. In the beginning of Psycho it sounds like it has a distortion and a chorus on it. At 1:35 on Bounce it sounds like it has a bit more gain than in Deer Dance

It also seems they rode the levels A LOT on the album, which is really cool because it makes the musical dynamics sound really effective.

IIRC its a Rectifier and and either a JCM800 of sorts or a DSL (I read an interview a while back).

I do really like the tones and mix on that album. It fits the songs like a glove.

What I noticed is that a lot through the album, there's one side guitar palm muting and the other side playing open notes. Pretty interesting effect.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yndfqN1VKhY&feature=related[/ame]

What I noticed is that a lot through the album, there's one side guitar palm muting and the other side playing open notes. Pretty interesting effect.

Unless you posted the wrong song as an example, I'm not hearing it. There's some suuuuubtle differences in the muting, but I've been switching each one of my monitors on back and forth and I don't hear anything like what you've mentioned.

Unless you posted the wrong song as an example, I'm not hearing it. There's some suuuuubtle differences in the muting, but I've been switching each one of my monitors on back and forth and I don't hear anything like what you've mentioned.

Right in the intro, I'm pretty sure the left side is not muting. Maybe he's just not the tightest player.

it's funny to hear this guitar tone being called thin. i always thought this album had one of the fattest guitar tones ever

i'm surprised no one mentioned andy wallace yet. his sound and style and contribution is a BIG part of the sound of the album as well. they track very very good and have a sloppy but tight sound and he knows how to maximize it and make it work. it's almost harder to get a raw sound but in a polished format than it is the other way around.

the bass sounds the way it does due to the crazy amount of AUDIBLE automation that happens.

Played this album to death when I first got it. One of the few albums I can play end to end on bass. My band played a few of their songs when they were still new, not so cool now.

There was a preproduction leak of the album a few months before Toxicity came out and I kinda preferred that vibe-wise, it had some songs that ended up on "steal this album" too.

this album along with Steal this Album, are my favorites from SOAD. I learnd so much by just listen tho them back when i was 16 and 17. I learned every part from the guitar and the simplicity of Darons playing is amazing, because at the same time it fills every part of the song.

I really agree with ahjteam on Rubin's production. no reverbs, natural drums, punchy guitars, its just pure awesomeness.

I had Guitar World magazines from around this time and all I can remember about it is, multiple layers (quad) each with way less gain than you'd expect. Listening to that YouTube clip, that seems pretty accurate. Pretty sloppy by this forum's standards.