Soen ... new band from Martin Lopez & Steve DiGiorgio

Dec 16, 2002
www.facebook.com
Here's the debut video from Soen .. the brainchild of Martin Lopez (Ex Opeth drums) & Steve DiGiorgio. It's got a heavy Tool feel to it, but also as a lot of that Opeth Damnation sound. It also reminds of the Polish prog bands .. Votum, Riverside, etc. I think the debut disc entitled Cognitive was released on Feb 15.

Britt

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn Britt that is sick!!! I am loving it!! Might run into Steve tomorrow at Symphony X if he is home, I'll have to talk him about this....

Bear

Yeah .. might initially come off as a very clonish type of band, but there's more to it than just that Tool influence. For my tastes this song above is far and away better than the vast majority of Tool songs. This is more like Toolpeth .. singer sounds like a cross between Maynard and Akerfeldt. Obviously this isn't the most original band on the planet, but that's nothing new in metal.

Britt

the brainchild of Martin Lopez (Ex Opeth drums) & Steve DiGiorgio.

Poor Joakim Platbarzdis! Who, you ask? He's the guitarist, and I'm guessing the *real* mastermind behind this band. It's one thing to tout a new band/release by highlighting the "big name" hired guns who play on it, but Spinefarm is taking this one to a whole new level by pushing those guys to the fore and barely even mentioning the "little names".

Beyond occasional Sadus records, have Lopez or DiGiorgio actually ever been the brainfather of anything?

Neil

Yeah .. I've been hoodwinked! Bamboozled! Led astray! Run amok! Thanks for the info .. totally been led to believe that this was Martin Lopez' baby.

I dunno, maybe it is (their Facebook page says the band was formed by Lopez and Platbarzdis in 2005), but since I'm pretty sure Lopez never wrote any music for Amon Amarth or Opeth, it would be odd for him to suddenly take up songwriting.

Sorry, I guess it's just a music-industry peeve of mine. Just as it bugs me when Adele and Katy Perry get all the attention while no one knows who Paul Epworth and Dr. Luke are (hint: the writers of their hit songs), it similarly bugs me when people think Arcturus is about Garm/Vortex/Hellhammer rather than Sverd, or when Lopez/DiGiorgio take top billing here. It actually sorta makes sense in the case of Adele/Perry/Garm/Vortex, since at least those people are the *singers* of the songs written by others, but a non-songwriting drummer is the least important thing in music!

Neil

Poor Joakim Platbarzdis! Who, you ask? He's the guitarist, and I'm guessing the *real* mastermind behind this band. It's one thing to tout a new band/release by highlighting the "big name" hired guns who play on it, but Spinefarm is taking this one to a whole new level by pushing those guys to the fore and barely even mentioning the "little names".

Beyond occasional Sadus records, have Lopez or DiGiorgio actually ever been the brainfather of anything?

Neil

Actually, this is Martin Lopez' baby ... we were negotiating with him for a long time regarding this band, but unfortunately it fell through ....

Actually, this is Martin Lopez' baby ... we were negotiating with him for a long time regarding this band, but unfortunately it fell through ....

Ah, I stand corrected then (at least on the Lopez half, I still reserve the right to whine about the DiGiorgio pimping!) Any idea if he writes the music, or is he just the concept/business/promotion/connections side of the band?

Not if he has a practice space and a van!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

:lol: