Soilwork/Dark Traquilllity/Hypocrisy/Mnemic etc @Jaxx 4/29

There isn't really anyone coming to Jaxx that I'm interested in making the trip down to see... maybe if they get some worthwhile openers.

I keep waiting for that OTHER Sveeedish band to get their tails back over here... hopefully before the next damn ProgPower!

scooterSST said:
I've been woefully uninformed on Soilwork, and since I'm getting into darker, harsher music can ya fill me in on what they sound like
Soilwork are part of the Gothenberg metal movemetn out of sweden. if youve heard in flames and liked them, chances are you will like soilwork, as well. melodic death is the genre name, usually awesomely heavy guitar riffs, powerful harmonies (both guitars and vox) with death vox. soilwork tends to use harmonized gang vocals in their choruses, and sometimes overdubbed clean vox, to give them a lot more powerful, almost anthemic, sounds.

dark tranquillity is also of the gothenberg sound, even more similar to in flames than soilwork. DT's singer sang on in flames's first record, and anders from in flames sang for DT in the early early days before in flames officially became known.

hypocrisy is another great death metal act, tho i cant say i know as much about them as the others.

mnemic is a newer danish metal act that i can really best describe as a mixture of meshuggah and soilwork. high energy and pretty brutal.

I'll probably go, even though I don't like the last two Soilwork discs very much - the previous four were quite good, though. DT were excellent last time I saw them. Hypocrisy is OK, Mnemic sounds like Hair Metal Meshuggah to me...

Hmm. I don't seem to like a whole lot of the bill...

eaeolian said:
I'll probably go, even though I don't like the last two Soilwork discs very much - the previous four were quite good, though. DT were excellent last time I saw them. Hypocrisy is OK, Mnemic sounds like Hair Metal Meshuggah to me...

Hmm. I don't seem to like a whole lot of the bill...

Are ya going to Entombed on the 8th

scooterSST said:
Are ya going to Entombed on the 8th

No. After the first two brilliant albums, they decided to go "death rock" instead of death metal... and it's not my cup of tea. The first two discs are in my top 5 death metal albums of all time, but they don't play much if anything from those albums live and the new stuff I can't stomache.

Hyperplex said:
i just ordered my tix for this show. my sis and i are going.

are any of you all planning on being there for this show?

I would like to go, but it depends on my work schedule. I am supposed to be starting another major project the end of March/beginning of April, so I don't know how much free time I'm going to have.

If I have to be in the studio at 8am the next day, it's a good bet that you won't see me there :)

I really liked Natural Born Chaos by Soilwork, I wasn't as impressed with Figure Number Five, but I'll likely go, if only to check them out. Of course, that's a long way down the road, and subject to change twenty times.